Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255765.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2020 at 11:55:03.


Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30450 33526



SE3033NW VICAR LANE 714-1/76/413 (East side) 08/05/73 City Markets


Includes: Nos.1-21 NEW MARKET BUILDINGS. Shown on OS map as Kirkgate Market. Market hall. 1904, restored late C20. By Leeming and Leeming, architects; J Bagshaw and Sons of Batley, engineers; secondary rear ranges c1875. Ashlar and carved stone with granite to ground-floor pilasters; grey slate roof with lead casing to domes (some replaced by asphalt), elaborate ridge cresting and finials; cast-iron internal structure with steel framework concealed in the masonry. PLAN: a massive 11-bay structure of 4 storeys and attic, in Flemish style to street frontage and left (George Street) and right (Kirkgate) returns; the rear facade plain and obscured by the earlier secondary market structures, (see below). EXTERIOR: ground floor: central 2-storey entrance, original shop divisions remain, No.13 retaining the original glazed door with scrolled pediment and window with slender glazing bars; shops divided by pilasters and draped putti supporting entablature, frieze and cornice. First floor: rounded arch to 5 bays (one to market entrance the other to windows) and the others with paired casements, ornament includes elaborate scrolls and figures to spandrels and sculptured frieze, cornice over. Second floor: shallow arched heads to paired windows divided by attached Ionic columns; cartouches to keystones. Third floor: 3 and 4 light windows, attached Doric columns, cornice over. Attic storey: walling rises above modillion cornice at bays 1, 4, 6, 8 and 11 to elaborate sculpted gables with scrolls and swags framing 3 round-headed lights to centre, the outer gables having small rectangular windows; 3-light dormers to steeply-pitched roof; elaborate chimneys and 2 French mansard roofs with balustrades and finials and a central Renaissance tiered steeple. At each end of the front on the same plane is a tower feature of the same style surmounted by a domed cupola. Left and right returns: the angles are recessed on the splay and are canted 1:3:1 windows. 2-storey round-arch market entrance with balustrade-topped shops to right and left; Flemish gable at top with large octagonal domed temple with cupola on roof, facades as main front. Rear: plaque commemorating the building of the previous (1875)

market on the site is reset in north end at first-floor level, obscured by scaffolding at time of Review. INTERIOR: long hall with clerestory, aisles and central octagon; shops along west and south-west sides (main facade) have offices and former public rooms on upper floors with original details including doors, cast-iron fireplaces, skirting boards, cornices, plaster ceilings; wooden booths or offices on gallery facing into the hall are reached from spiral stone staircases which rise from each side of the corner entrances. These entrances have a giant inner arch of moulded Burmantofts faience and the inner walls of the building are lined with glazed bricks. 24 clustered Corinthian columns, all with brackets decorated with the civic arms and some with the engineer's plaque, support glazed clerestory and upper part of central octagon, horizontal ties and beams are incorporated into decoratively modelled panels and spandrels which include tripartite blank windows framed with scrolls and pediments. Cast-iron brackets in the form of dragons support the mezzanine balcony with ornate rail. Stalls: most retain original design of slim columns with spiral moulding and Corinthian capitals supporting entablature with dentilled cornice and acroteria at the corners. A tall cast-iron tower with clock by Potts of Leeds which originally stood in the centre of the hall was removed to Oakwood, the south boundary of Roundhay Park. Earlier secondary structure to rear: brick rows, including Butcher's Row and Game Row, with arcaded decoration to upper storey open from the main market hall. The 1904 market replaced the 1875 building where the firm of Marks and Spencers was established. The new market was a spectacular addition to the shopping centre of the city which was transformed during the period 1875-1909, the old properties being replaced by the arcades and planned streets. The firm of Leeming and Leeming was responsible for the Borough Market in Halifax and Oldham Market Hall. (A History of Modern Leeds, Fraser D (Ed): Grady K: Commercial, marketing and retailing amenities, 1700-1914: Manchester: 1980-: 194).

Listing NGR: SE3045033526


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Fraser, D, A History of Modern Leeds, (1980), 194


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/06187/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].