CORN EXCHANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1255771
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
CORN EXCHANGE, CALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CORN EXCHANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255771 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 16:12:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CORN EXCHANGE, CALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30393 33387

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW CALL LANE 714-1/78/75 (South East side) 19/10/51 Corn Exchange

GV I

Corn exchange, now shopping precinct. 1861-63. By Cuthbert Brodrick, converted 1989-90. Rough rock, millstone grit, diamond rustication, grey slate dome, multi-flue stacks ranged around building to rear of parapet, iron cresting to oval dome with glazing on north side. Oval on plan, 2 storeys over basement. Closely-spaced round-arched windows in double recesses to both storeys, plate-glass sashes. 3 entrances: 2 large single-storey semicircular arcaded porches with attached Tuscan columns supporting cornice, these facing Duncan Street and New Market Street/Kirkgate; 3 semicircular steps to entrance facing Crown Street. Heavy moulded sill and string courses, bucranium frieze, dentilled cornice, parapet with clock, coat of arms decorated with swags and scrolls, inscription: CORN EXCHANGE and ERECTED A.D. 1862. INTERIOR: partly glazed dome with semi-elliptical and semicircular iron ribs. 2 storeys of moulded brick arches to 59 office units, the upper ones accessible from a balcony with cast-iron railings supported on large brackets. Retains most of the original furnishings: merchants' desks, sample trays, name boards. C20 conversion included removal of part of ground floor for access to basement with new stairs and matching cast-iron railings. Basement floor Elland flags. Cuthbert Brodrick (1822-1905) trained with HF Lockwood and began his practice in Hull. He won the open competition for the design of Leeds Town Hall, Victoria Square (qv) in 1853 and also designed the Mechanics' Institute, now Art School, in 1865. (The Builder: 1860-: 515; The Builder: 1861-: 648, 651; The Builder: 1896-: 512; Building News, Vol 10, 31 July 1863: 597).

Listing NGR: SE3039333387

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465668
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1861), 648, 651
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1896), 512
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1860), 515
'Building News' in 31 July, , Vol. 10, (1863), 597

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03880/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Novak. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].