Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255779.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 22:10:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 29641 32901



SE2932NE WATER LANE, Holbeck 714-1/80/857 (South side) 07/07/95 No.99


Foundry workshop, now motor repair workshop. 1795-98, altered late C19. For Matthew Murray. Dark red/brown brick, 5:1 English bond, irregular sizes; corrugated asbestos roof, base of stack slightly projects, right; stone gable coping. 3-storey gable end of 4 bays facing Water Lane. The building extends 7 bays to rear: 5 tall single-storey bays and a 2-storey bay. Facade to street: 3 first-floor windows with cambered heads, stone sills and 4-pane sashes; tall inserted entrance doors left, traces of 2 first-floor windows above the lintel. Blocked loading doors to first and 2nd floors, right. Rear: a narrow window high in the gable of the 3-storey block has shallow header-brick arch and 4-pane sash; lower window with stretcher arch and altered frame. The tall single storey range to south has a yard entrance on the west side, and two 2-light casements. At the south end the 2-storey bay has been reduced from 3 storeys and on the west side a fish-belly girder has been used as a lintel for the (?original) wagon entrance. South side: 3 original openings- one entrance and 2 blocked windows. A cobbled pathway survives in the yard. INTERIOR: the central section appears to retain its original layout - a single large room with the remains of 3 hearths and flues against the south wall, and a large structural arch built into the east wall. The south bay has 3 blind arches on the north wall, and traces of former jack arches on the north and south walls. Roof structure: the north end has 2 queen post trusses with iron ties and nailed joints, central and south sections re-roofed. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building is considered to be the substantial remains of the greensand foundry built by Matthew Murray as part of probably the first integrated engineering works in the world. Facing onto the courtyard behind No.101 Water Lane (qv), this range stands opposite the dry sand foundry (qv) and is part of the complex described by James Watt in 1802, containing 2 air furnaces and a cupola, but no stove. The range is also depicted in the 1806 view of the works, when the southern bay was taller. (Redman RN: The Railway Foundry, Leeds, 1839-1969: Norwich: 1972-; Kilburn Scott E: Matthew Murray, Pioneer Engineer: Leeds: 1928-: 40).

Listing NGR: SE2964132901


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Redman, R, The Railway Foundry Leeds 1839-1969, (1972)
Scott, K, Matthew Murray Pioneer Engineer40


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/06116/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].