CIVIC HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1255781

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Statutory Address: CIVIC HALL, CALVERLEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CIVIC HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255781 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 07:16:52.

Location

Statutory Address: CIVIC HALL, CALVERLEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29834 34081

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2934SE CALVERLEY STREET 714-1/74/77 (East side) 05/08/76 Civic Hall

GV II*

Civic hall. Completed 1933. By E Vincent Harris. Portland stone, slate roofs. V-plan on an almost triangular site, the southern corner truncated with the main facade facing the downhill square. This facade is of 2 storeys with attic storey set back; 7 large sashes with glazing bars, ground floor Gibbs architraves with alternate triangular and segmental pediments, balustered parapet, large portico with giant Corinthian columns and pediment containing coat of arms. Flanking small pedimented pavilions with arches, and set back high above at both ends a tall Renaissance (Wrenish) tower with Corinthian columns at corners of 1st stage with round-headed openings, pedimented bell stage above and obelisk spires with gilded owls as finials. Left and right returns: 5 storeys, 15 bays, 1st floor rusticated with round-headed windows; at 3rd-floor level under tower is a gilded clock on large bracket. INTERIOR: the entrance hall, reception areas, assembly hall, council chamber and committee rooms all contain impressive original decoration and detailing which includes: a long reception hall with painted columns, cruciform plan at N end, with tunnel vault which is repeated in the side corridors; fine divided staircase at N end; rear entrance to reception room with end fireplaces, mirrored overmantel and chandelier from Town Hall; Council Chamber with oval seating plan, tall small-paned windows above plaques with names of past Council members of note, plain ceiling, cornice with roundels and shields, end galleries reached by stone stairs, panelled doors. Main stairs rise to a fine reception area and meeting room with pilasters and Classical detailing. Pevsner describes the building as: 'as ambitious as the Town Hall but not quite as self-confident... has originality and some courage'. The architect also designed Sheffield City Hall, completed 1934. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Radcliffe E: Yorkshire, The West Riding: London: 1967-: 65, 315, 453).



Listing NGR: SE2983434081

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465678

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 65,315,453

End of official listing