THE GENERAL ELLIOTT PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255794

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: THE GENERAL ELLIOTT PUBLIC HOUSE, 33, VICAR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GENERAL ELLIOTT PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255794 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 17:37:25.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GENERAL ELLIOTT PUBLIC HOUSE, 33, VICAR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30363 33514

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW VICAR LANE 714-1/76/405 (West side) No.33 The General Elliott Public House

GV II

Public house. Early C19 with remains of c1700 house, restored c1982. Rendered brick, slate roof. 4 storeys, 2 bays, with a 3-storey bay right. c1900 public house front to ground floor; plain sash windows with continuous sills to upper floors, small square windows to right bay. INTERIOR: small front bar refitted in traditional style with tiled bar and walls, c1980. Reputed to be an example of one of the early brick buildings surviving in the town, the original floor framing also thought to survive but the top storey an addition of the C19, (Michelmore Report). The General Elliott is mentioned in Baines' Directory of 1817 when William Lee was victualler; by 1839 George Flockton was the victualler and the street number was 1; by 1853 Thomas Greenhow took over and is named in the Directories until at least 1888. An important site at the corner of one of the medieval main streets, Kirkgate, and opposite the site of the Vicarage. Probably named after General George Augustus Elliott, First Baron Heathfield, known as the Defender of Gibralter. (West Yorkshire Metropolitan County Council: Michelmore, D (Archaeology Unit Report): General Elliott, Vicar Lane, Leeds: 1984-; Directories of Leeds, 1809-1888; Heap, A: Research at Leeds Local History Library: 1985-).



Listing NGR: SE3036333514

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465645

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Heap, A, Research at Leeds Local History Library, (1985)
Michelmore, D, 'Archaeology Unit Report' in General Elliott, Vicar Lane Leeds, (1984)

End of official listing