50-56, VICAR LANE, 3-9, LUDGATE HILL, 1, 2 AND 3, HAREWOOD STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255795

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1993

Statutory Address: 1, 2 AND 3, HAREWOOD STREET

Statutory Address: 3-9, LUDGATE HILL

Statutory Address: 50-56, VICAR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 50-56, VICAR LANE, 3-9, LUDGATE HILL, 1, 2 AND 3, HAREWOOD STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255795 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 19:41:02.

Location

Statutory Address: 1, 2 AND 3, HAREWOOD STREET

Statutory Address: 3-9, LUDGATE HILL

Statutory Address: 50-56, VICAR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30417 33600

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW VICAR LANE 714-1/76/406 (East side) 10/09/93 Nos.50-56 (Even)

GV II

Includes: Nos.1, 2 AND 3 HAREWOOD STREET. Includes: Nos.3-9 LUDGATE HILL. Shops, bank, and club premises. Early C20, restoration begun 1994. Steel frame with terracotta cladding and ashlar details. 4 storeys and attics, 3 bays and narrow entrance bay to chambers far left; corner site with 6 bays to Ludgate Hill, (right return) and 6 bays including narrower entrance bay to rear (Harewood Street). Ground floor: possibly original corner entrance to bank with arched window flanked by paired columns on left and 3 similar windows to right return, pulvinated frieze, modillion cornice; ground-floor shop fronts on all facades. Each facade has large showroom windows rising through 1st and 2nd floors with 3-light windows in segmental-arched openings; a narrow round-headed corner window; 3rd floor: sash windows; bracketed eaves cornice, blocking course, projecting hexagonal pilasters rise from elaborately moulded bosses at 2nd-floor level and terminate in small domes. Attic storey: corner turret with moulded band and cornice, lead dome with finial; paired round-headed dormer windows with stepped gables above. Rear: narrow entrance, bay 4, service windows above; plain fenestration to the 2 right bays, pilaster retains tall finial. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the 1910 directory indicates that the building was then used by the Bradford Bank Ltd., a wallpaper dealer, the Universal Furnishing Company (house furnishers, Ludgate Hill), the Leeds and County Commercial Club (No.56), a billiard table manufacturer and an artificial flower maker. The Leeds and County Commercial Club was a branch of the National Commercial Temperance League, founded 1900. The club was formed in 1903 and was used by commercial travellers, professional and business men for business and social meetings. The facilities in this building included reading, dining and billiard rooms; lectures, addresses and concerts were organised and the Club was run on Temperance lines. The top floor and roof were severely damaged by fire in 1993. (Kelly's Directory of Leeds: 1910-).

Listing NGR: SE3041733600

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465646

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, ()

End of official listing