CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255815
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, TOWN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255815 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 20:37:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, TOWN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30216 28491

Details

LEEDS

SE32NW TOWN STREET, Middleton 714-1/14/986 (North side) 05/08/76 Church of St Mary

GV II

Anglican church. 1845-46. By RD Chantrell. Coursed stone and ashlar, slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: nave, N and S aisles, chancel and SW tower. EXTERIOR: 2-light aisle lancets, single-light lancets to chancel, buttresses and string course at sill level. 5 paired windows on N side; blocked transept window. Tripartite E window, attached columns, head stops. 5-light W window similar, arcading below. 3-stage tower has deep moulded porch, angle buttresses to lower 2 stages, 3-light belfry windows, outer lights blocked; embattled parapet. INTERIOR: tower entrance has Gothic arches to inner and outer doorways, plank doors with elaborate scrolled hinges. Nave: 5 bays, alternate octagonal and cylindrical shafts, tall chamfered arches, rafter roof. Chamfered chancel arch, chancel has rafter roof and border of cusped arches. Brass eagle lectern; plain roll-moulded bench pews, open cusped arcading to choir stalls; wooden pulpit with similar cusped open panels, altar rail similar; stone font at W end has attached columns, arcading to bowl with figures in spandrels. STAINED GLASS: east and west windows have early medieval-style stained glass with figures set in cartouches. C20 reredos has 3 panels with Magi, Resurrection and Presentation in relief. One of Robert Chantrell's later Leeds churches, before he removed to London in 1847. His later group of churches, built 1842-47, reflect his interest in the geometric principals of Gothic architecture. His buildings of this phase have been described as, 'an accomplished and assured series of Gothic essays' (Webster, p.117). The building work is reputed to have been funded by local miners who gave both labour and money; the steeple was taken down in 1939 after subsidence. (Publications of the Thoresby Society: Webster C: RD Chantrell, Architect: His Life and Work in Leeds: 1991-: 116-118; Leeds City Council Countryside Ranger Service: Middleton Park History Trail: 5).

Listing NGR: SE3021628491

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465620
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Leeds City Council Countryside Ranger Service' in Middleton Park History Trail, (), 5
Webster, C, 'Thoresby Society Publication' in RD Chantrell Architect His Life and Work in Leeds 1818-47, (), 116-118

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12310/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Krystyna Szulecka. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].