KIRKSTALL BREWERY STUDENT VILLAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255819

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: KIRKSTALL BREWERY STUDENT VILLAGE, BROAD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KIRKSTALL BREWERY STUDENT VILLAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255819 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 11:25:11.

Location

Statutory Address: KIRKSTALL BREWERY STUDENT VILLAGE, BROAD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 25840 35475

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2535 BROAD LANE, Kirkstall 714-1/21/898 (North side) 09/03/87 Kirkstall Brewery Student Village (Formerly Listed as: BROAD LANE, Kirkstall Kirkstall Brewery)

GV II

Maltings, then brewery, now student accommodation. Late C18 and early C19 for Joseph Musgrove; alterations and additions 1833-47 for Thomas Walker, 1847-69 for Benjamin Dawson and Company, 1869-1954 for the Kirkstall Brewing Company, and 1954-83 for Whitbread and Co. Conversion 1994 to student village for Leeds Metropolitan University. Coursed squared gritstone, some with herring-bone tooling, C20 brickwork; slate roofs with some corrugated iron, felting and metal sheeting. L-shaped plan: tower brewery, yard entrance and office range facing Broad Lane (S); brewery workshop and warehouse ranges parallel to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (E). C20 additions in angle. Broad Lane facade: 3-storey, 3 x 2-bay tower brewery left, chamfered plinth, each bay treated as a giant segmental-arched recess having paired windows with segmental-arched lintels, some blind, round-arched cart entrance on left return, moulded string, ashlar cornice, balustraded parapet. A circular tapering chimney rises from the SW corner of the tower and the corner bays below it project slightly and have blind windows; hipped roof of green slates with skylights and ridge louvres. The lower half of the tower is obscured by a stone range on roadside, raised to 2 storeys C20 and rendered; on left return, to rear, a gabled bay with round-arched loading door left, square windows, central loading doors to 1st and 2nd floors. Broad Lane frontage, from left to right: a single-storey bay with square window in plain surround, louvred ridge; 3-window gabled bay with blocked 2-light and square windows (boarded up) and keyed oculus in coped gable; ashlar entrance bay with raised lintel, modillion cornice, blocking course, hipped roof; far right a 3-bay office range, 2 storeys to road, 3 to canal: rusticated ashlar quoins, plinth and sill bands, late C19 ashlar porch with double doors and fanlight, cusped side lights, modillion cornice, raised stone surrounds to paired tall windows left, smaller to right and 1st floor centre and right, sash frames replaced with C20 casements; ashlar gable coping right, corniced end stacks. A low stone wall supporting iron railings with spiked bars and scalloped top rail running from porch to entrance bay left, and to canal bridge (qv) right. Right return (facade to canal), from left: gable end of office range with 2 first-floor windows; twin-gabled late C18-early C19 3-storey range, 3 bays, with altered and blocked flat-faced mullion windows to lower floor, upper windows with plain stone surrounds and raised sills, most inserted, bands at 1st floor, 1st-floor lintel, and eaves levels, ashlar coped gables. 4-storey, 9-bay range with plinth to lower 2 floors, small round-arched windows and blocked doorway left, flat-headed, stone-lintelled windows above, and next floor raised at different times over right-hand part (taller windows set under eaves with grouped gutter brackets between) and 3 left bays (under gable with attic window and ashlar coping) which are separated by a straight joint. 4-storey, 20-bay range with small round-arched windows on sill bands, blocked round-arched ground-floor doorways (on to canal) at either end; plain gutter brackets, 2-span roof. The rear yard surface is higher than the canal and the 20-bay range has 2 tiers of round-arched windows, sill band, the wide loading doors at ground level breaking the sill band of the lower windows. To right the 2-storey, 4-window range has blocked round-arched openings low down and brick upper storey; to right again a wide and a narrow round-arched opening, and stone steps down to cellars below yard level. INTERIOR: gutted of plant since 1983 closure of the brewery, although original structural supports survive: squat, circular cast-iron columns supporting riveted cast-iron girders in 1st-floor (from canal side). The 4-bay range originally had a further lower storey exposed on the yard (west) side but this was blocked off when the yard level was raised, forming the cellar. In 1994 this was excavated to reveal the original lower storey. HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1793 Henry Cooper and Joseph Musgrave leased 2 plots from Sir James Graham. Henry Cooper built maltings, wharf, Cooper House (qv) for himself and Poplar House for his maltster; Joseph Musgrave also built maltings, cottages and Grove House. From 1814-32 the maltings were operated by Ephraim Elsworth; in 1833 Thomas Walker bought them and made a brewery, he died a bankrupt in 1844 and Simeon Musgrave sold out to Benjamin Dawson and Co. There was considerable building expansion 1847-69, including the 20-bay range, and in 1872 the Kirkstall Brewery Company bought the site and the tower brewery was built. By 1898 a huge international trade had developed using the canal system and by steamship from Goole. In 1936 the business was taken over by Duttons of Blackpool; bought by Whitbreads in 1954 and closed down 1983. (Brears P: History of Kirkstall Brewery: 1985-; Brears P: Heritage Trail: 1993-).



Listing NGR: SE2584035475

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465624

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brears, P, History of Kirkstall Brewery, (1985)
Brears, P , The Leeds Heritage Trail, (1993)

End of official listing