AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES BUILDING, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255827

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES BUILDING, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, UNIVERSITY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES BUILDING, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:49:43.

Location

Statutory Address: AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES BUILDING, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, UNIVERSITY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29237 34706

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2934NW UNIVERSITY ROAD, University Campus 714-1/71/1174 (North side) Agricultural Sciences building, University of Leeds, and attached railings

II

University agricultural sciences building with walling, gate piers and railings to front. 1923. By Paul Waterhouse. Steel frame, red brick, stone details, slate roof, cast-iron railings, ashlar gate piers. 2 storeys with basement and attic storeys, 5 bays, the outer bays break forward slightly; 3:4:1:4:3 windows. Centre bay: steps with low flanking walls to double board door in Tuscan surround with entablature and cornice, corner pilasters rise to a broken pediment at eaves level; pavilion roof with circular dormer above. Pilasters and pavilion roofs to outer bays, cornice overall and flat roofed dormers to attic storey; added glazed range above. Fenestration: full, height small-paned windows with pivoted opening lights throughout, raised panels between ground and 1st floors. INTERIOR: the entrance lobby and stair hall are lined out with bright green tiles; staircase with geometric balustrade and ramped wooden handrail. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings: X-motif to rails on the ridge cresting and front wall which is approx 50m long. Pair of gate piers to left: square section, approx 2.5m tall, cornice and shallow pyramid caps. HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1913 the Board of Agriculture agreed to match a donation of ยป10,000 from Walter Morrison for a new Agriculture building; In 1915 a moratorium was placed on the Ministry expenditure and after WWI the cost had almost doubled. By 1922 plans were agreed for this building and the site moved from Woodhouse Lane to University Road. (MW Beresford, in Gosden and Taylor 1975, p.157) (Studies in the History of a University: 1975-: 157).

Listing NGR: SE2923734706

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465632

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gosden, P H, Taylor, A J, Studies in the History of a University 1874-1974, (1974), 157

End of official listing