133, 135 AND 137, BRIGGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255830

Date first listed: 07-May-1992

Statutory Address: 133, 135 AND 137, BRIGGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 133, 135 AND 137, BRIGGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255830 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 15:10:10.

Location

Statutory Address: 133, 135 AND 137, BRIGGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30260 33484

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW BRIGGATE 714-1/78/65 (East side) 07/05/92 Nos.133, 135 AND 137

GV II

Post Office exchange, now shop premises. 1907. By Percy Robinson; top storey added c1920, altered C20. Red brick and pink terracotta, tiled facade to top storey, roof not visible. 5 storeys, 3 bays. In Renaissance style. Ground floor facade possibly preserved behind later C20 shop fronts; the central bay narrower and with a round-headed window of 3 lights to first floor, canted bay windows to 2nd and 3rd floors; the flanking bays, 1st and 2nd floors, have 3 round-arched windows slightly recessed behind an ornate facade of tall columns supporting a deep spandrel band with relief moulded decoration of figures, swags and foliage; the 3rd-floor windows deeply recessed behind a 5-arched facade; entablature, modillion cornice. Pilasters flank central bay and corners; terracotta used as banded rustication to 1st floor. 4th floor: 3 rectangular windows to each bay, pilasters with moulded panels, ball finials to corners, central plaque and swags to gablet; gable screen walls. INTERIOR: not inspected. Exchange Buildings was an adaptation of the original scheme of shops at a cost of ยป6,000. The principal floor of approx 3,000 square yards comprised the post and telegraph office, telephone boxes, letter boxes and lockers; grocery exchange to 1st floor with a reading room and writing room; the 2 upper floors were offices; basement cafe. By 1920 the building was used by FW Woolworth & Co. Percy Robinson also designed Nos 4 (qv), 6 & 8 (not included) Duncan Street and Armley Public Library, Stocks Hill (qv). (Kelly's Directory: 1908-: XXXI).

Listing NGR: SE3026033484

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465588

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1908), XXXI

End of official listing