166-169, BRIGGATE, 165A, BRIGGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255838

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1995

Statutory Address: 165A, BRIGGATE

Statutory Address: 166-169, BRIGGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 166-169, BRIGGATE, 165A, BRIGGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255838 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 20:53:38.

Location

Statutory Address: 165A, BRIGGATE

Statutory Address: 166-169, BRIGGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30251 33298

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW BRIGGATE 714-1/78/67 (East side) 17/07/95 Nos.165A AND 166-169 (Consecutive)

GV II

House and workshops. Early C18, altered C19 and C20. Red brick, part overpainted, sandstone dressings; slate roof, hipped to right, 3-flue stack to rear left. 3 storeys, 8 first-floor windows, the 2 centre windows in slightly projecting quoined bay, quoins also to far left and right; restored small-pane sashes to left, 4-pane sashes and C20 frames to right; moulded sills, rubbed brick flat arches with keystones. Fine modillion eaves cornice to right and centre, eaves to left rebuilt above window head level mid C20. C20 shop facades, entry to rear Queen's Court to right of centre; rear ranges extend as north and south ranges of Queen's Court (qv). INTERIOR: not inspected but reputed to contain (c1987): cellar below room far left reached by stone stair and having an ogee stop to chamfered ceiling beam; in the first-floor centre room, lit by 2 windows, mid C18 fittings including raised and fielded-panels to window surrounds, shutters, below dado rail and in eared architrave between windows; dentilled cornice. Also an open-well cantilevered staircase, probably in original position, between front range and north range of Queen's Court, having turned balusters and moulded handrail. The stair hall opened into a long ground-floor room in the north range of Queen's Court (qv). Roof structure of king posts with straight braces to ridge and struts between cross beam and principal rafters. HISTORICAL NOTE: the northern part, from the passageway, probably built for a cloth merchant on the main market street of Leeds; the cloth markets being removed from the open street and into the cloth halls during the C18. The merchant will have lived in part of the house, the ground floor left, staircase, panelled room above being the most likely part. The rooms on upper floors and to right of the entrance passage probably used as workrooms, warehousing and showrooms/shops, together with the north ranges of Queen's Court. Purchases of cloth were made in the market or cloth halls and the merchant employed workmen to complete the finishing processes before sale to those making up the fabric. The development of factory production resulted in the change of use of such buildings in the early C19: the historical record suggests that part of the building became a patent hat

warehouse, the premises of a hatter, woolstapler and insurance agent by 1817. The principal use of the building in the mid-later C19 was as the premises of Sidney and Stables, tea coffee and spice dealer, latterly tea dealer and grocery warehouse. Parts of the building were used by a stationer, ironmonger, linen merchant, silk mercer and hosier during that period. The 1847 map indicates a ground floor facade with bow windows flanking an entrance below window 3, a second door from the street to far left; by 1885 shop windows had been inserted far left. Similar in character to Nos 3-5 Briggate (qv). (Beresford M: East End, West End; Leeds 1684-1842: 1988-; Thornborrow, P & Moorhouse S, West Yorks Archaeological Service: Queen's Court Lower Briggate, Leeds Restoration Design Proposals: 1987-; Map of Leeds surveyed 1847: Ordnance Survey Map of Leeds, surveyed 1847: 1850-; Lingard S, University of Leeds: Index of properties in Briggate (unpublished thesis)).



Listing NGR: SE3025133298

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465599

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988)
Thornborrow, P, Moorhouse, S , Queens Court Lower Briggate Leeds Restoration Design Proposals, (1987)

End of official listing