3, 4 AND 5, BRIGGATE, 1 AND 2, BLAYDS YARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255854
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
1 AND 2, BLAYDS YARD
Statutory Address:
3, 4 AND 5, BRIGGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 3, 4 AND 5, BRIGGATE, 1 AND 2, BLAYDS YARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255854 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 20:51:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
1 AND 2, BLAYDS YARD
Statutory Address:
3, 4 AND 5, BRIGGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30232 33246

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW BRIGGATE 714-1/78/58 (West side) 05/08/76 Nos.3, 4 AND 5 (Formerly Listed as: BRIGGATE (West side) No.3) (Formerly Listed as: BRIGGATE (West side) No.4)

GV II

Includes: Nos.1 AND 2 BLAYD'S YARD. House, now shops and store-rooms. Early C18, altered C19 and C20. Rendered brick, grey slate roof, quoins. 3 storeys, 7 first-floor windows, the central 3 in a slightly projecting bay. Narrow sashes to first floor, flush wood frames, projecting moulded stone sills, keystones, the 2 to right altered; top storey windows shorter and retaining 3 glazing-bar sashes to centre with modillion eaves cornice above, altered to blocking course to left and right. Ground floor: 3 C19-C20 shop facades with passage to rear (Blayd's Yard) to left of centre; keyed round arch, moulded imposts. Rear: the outer 2-window bays project as short wings linked to houses in Blayd's Yard, the left wing incorporating Nos 1 & 2 Blayd's Yard, the right being a 1-window rendered bay. Segmental-headed windows with 4-pane sashes, canted bay to ground floor; remains of original wooden coved and beaded cornice moulding to eaves. INTERIOR: left, No.3, not seen; No.4, centre has mid C19 turned balusters to stairs and a corner fireplace inserted on the 2nd floor; No.5 has exposed ceiling beams with quarter-round mouldings to first floor. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was occupied by T Horncastle, apothecary, in 1740 and the central unit, No.4, remained a chemists and druggists until c1845. The outer bays of the house appear to have been separately let from about 1800, No.3 occupied at first by a hatter and furrier, a draper in 1849, a stationer by 1870 and a motorcycle dealer by 1914. No.5 was used by a grocer and tea dealer by 1817, a trade often developing from that of chemist; in 1839 T Howan lived in the rear wing, No.2 Blayd's Yard. No.4 was used by a hatter, draper, watchmaker and pawnbroker between 1849 and 1914. The addition of render and alterations to the front eaves

support the documentary evidence that the large house which probably provided the living, working and storage accommodation for the apothecary through the C18 was divided during the early C19 into shops and storage with more limited living space, the owners or tenants possibly living elsewhere. Although the records do not link the house with a merchant involved in the textile trade it is very likely that as a chemist the owner was involved in the processing side of textiles, possibly dyeing. No.5 was damaged by fire mid C20 but the surviving ceiling beams indicate survival of the C18 fabric. (Lingard S, University of Leeds: Index to buildings in Briggate (unpublished thesis)).



Listing NGR: SE3023233246

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465570
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09461/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hans Van Lemmen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].