CITY ART GALLERY AND HENRY MOORE CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255865

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1963

Statutory Address: CITY ART GALLERY AND HENRY MOORE CENTRE, THE HEADROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CITY ART GALLERY AND HENRY MOORE CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 03:00:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CITY ART GALLERY AND HENRY MOORE CENTRE, THE HEADROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29869 33848

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2933NE THE HEADROW 714-1/75/76 (North side) 26/09/63 City Art Gallery and Henry Moore Centre

GV II

Formerly known as: Municipal Buildings including Art Gallery and Library CALVERLEY STREET. Leeds City Art Gallery. 1886-88, altered and extended late C20. By WH Thorp. Alterations and extension on S side, overlying Centenary Street, 1982, by JV Thorp (City Architect's Dept) and Neville Condor Associates. The original range is ashlar, slate and lead roof, 2 storeys; entrance far right, corner with Alexander Street, the ground floor large flat-headed mullion and transom windows with pilasters between are concealed by the later addition which has entrance lobby and Henry Moore Gallery. Steps and ramp to front, statue of reclining woman by Henry Moore. INTERIOR: original range has entrance hall with fine stone divided staircase and a statue of Queen Anne by Andrew Carpenter, 1712; library with gallery and cast-iron columns. The statue of Queen Anne came from the demolished Moot Hall, Briggate, built 1630, demolished 1820. The Art Gallery was built behind the Municipal Buildings which housed the Public Library and the S side faced onto Centenary Street, with a warehouse block on the S side of that street obscuring the facade. The library's Reading Room was converted to a sculpture gallery and the Art Gallery library was the News Room. A 1st-floor bridge links this building with No.74 The Headrow, premises of the Henry Moore Centre for the Study of Sculpture (qv). The City Art Gallery was first added to the list 16/10/91. (Public Library Local History Collection: Photograph of Reading Room).



Listing NGR: SE2986933848

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465586

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing