Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255870.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2021 at 01:28:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30164 33415



SE3033SW BOAR LANE 714-1/78/54 (North side) 26/09/63 Holy Trinity Church


Anglican church. 1721-7. By William Etty. Upper tower added post 1839 by RD Chantrell. Ashlar, roof not visible. PLAN: rectangular 7 x 3 bay plan with slightly projecting central entrance bay and 6-stage tower at west end and apse at east end. EXTERIOR: south side, facing Boar Lane: double 8-panel doors in Gibbs surrounds to bays 1 and 7, the doorway in bay 7 false. Fenestration: 2 tiers, the lower round-arched windows in architraves with keyblocks and alternate triangular and segmental open pediments and apron below sills, the upper windows square with eared and shouldered architraves, a 9-pane frame to far left, the remainder with leaded lights. Giant Doric pilasters, triglyph frieze, cornice and blocking course surmounted by flaming urns. Tower: round-arched belfry window in rusticated surround to first and 2nd stages, paired corner pilasters, Ionic to first stage and Corinthian to 2nd, clock at 2nd stage which has balustrade with urns. The upper 3 diminishing stages in similar style, the top 2 having concave sides; stone cross at pinnacle. North side obscured by C20 additions but upper western window has plain surround. Left return: main entrance centre has 8-panel double doors, fanlight over, in round arch with rusticated surround and keystone; 15-pane fixed-light window above in eared and shouldered architrave with open triangular pediment on console brackets; 2 tiers of windows in flanking bays, giant pilasters as south front, cornice surmounted by open triangular pediment over centre bay, fronting base of tower. Part-lead drain pipes in angles of projecting central bay have moulded rainwater heads and fixing plaques with raised motif of a fleece. Right return, east end: the apse has a large Venetian window; flanking windows, cornice, drain pipes as west end. INTERIOR: 6-bay nave and side aisles, short chancel with segmental sanctuary. Giant Corinthian columns support shallow tunnel-vaulted ceiling with plasterwork motifs including Greek key pattern; original features include panelling to rebate of inner west doors and dado, pews with carved ends of key and scroll patterns, reredos carved with swags of fruit and flowers; pulpit with finely carved and inlaid side panels, the stairs and access modified, sounding board with inlaid star

pattern on underside. MEMORIALS: wall memorials include those to James Scott, the first minister, in the blocked or false south door, west end, d.1782. He was the nephew of the founder of the church, Henry Robinson, d.1736, whose Latin memorial is at the centre of the north side, the Classical surround surmounted by a flaming urn and winged cherubs below. Other carved wooden items include the C18 royal arms on the west wall and a pelican feeding her young on the sill of the east window. HISTORICAL NOTE: the design of the building is also attributed to William Halfpenny (Pevsner); the foundation stone was laid in 1722, Etty was providing a design and wooden model in 1723 and the building was consecrated by the Archbishop of York on 10 August 1727. The wooden spire was blown down in 1839 and the upper stages added to the tower. Boar Lane was realigned and the street frontage rebuilt, 1869-c1875; some architectural details were probably influenced by the surviving church. (Linstrum, D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: 1978-: 376).

Listing NGR: SE3017433411


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 376


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09461/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hans Van Lemmen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].