FORMER STAR AND GARTER HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255874
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
FORMER STAR AND GARTER HOTEL, UNITS 2 AND 3, ABBEY RETAIL PARK, SAVINS MILL WAY, KIRKSTALL, LS5 3RP

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER STAR AND GARTER HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255874.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 09:22:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER STAR AND GARTER HOTEL, UNITS 2 AND 3, ABBEY RETAIL PARK, SAVINS MILL WAY, KIRKSTALL, LS5 3RP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 26218 35557

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/09/2017

SE2635 714-1/22/912

LEEDS SAVINS MILL WAY ABBEY RETAIL PARK Units 2 and 3 (Former Star and Garter Hotel) (Formerly listed as Funtazia Entertainment Centre, BRIDGE ROAD (South side)) previously listed as: BRIDGE ROAD, Kirkstall (South side) Raphael's Cabaret Bar)

05/08/76

II Formerly known as: The Star and Garter Hotel BRIDGE ROAD. Former Public house, later an entertainment complex, with attached former stable/carriage house range to right. Late C18, altered C20. Coursed stone, hipped slate roofs with ridge stack left of centre and tall stack forward of ridge, right, to front range, gabled roof to rear with large central ridge stack and hipped roof with stack forward of ridge to right of centre on stable range. Three storeys, five bays to main front range with similar height two-bay parallel range to rear left; two-storey, seven-bay range attached to right, and low two-storey bay to left. Main range: entrance right of centre with pilastered surround, a doorway (former window) to left of centre; sashes throughout of sixteen and twenty panes, some blocked, in plain stone surrounds, the central windows coupled, the outer windows three sashes wide in full-height segmental bays.

Former stable range: outer bays break forward slightly, the three centre bays have two-storey segmental-arched recesses and pedimented centre with blind round window flanked by one-bay blocking course; ground-floor openings altered or blocked, first floor eight-pane windows with pivoted top lights, in plain surround with continuous sill band, the central window round-headed. INTERIOR: ground floor replanned and refitted late C20. Upper floor retains plan with full-length corridor and main rooms on front; some original moulded doorcases and six-panel doors remain. HISTORICAL NOTE: The Star and Garter was an important road house standing at the junction of the Leeds-Bradford and Leeds-Kendall roads, the former new turnpike road was opened in 1794; the actress Sarah Siddons is said to have stayed there. By 1826 the inn was also used as a meeting and trading place by local woollen manufacturers: Wm Briggs of Hill Top, John Clayton of Moor End and Elijah Cobham of Height Lane are recorded in Parson's Directory as 'attending' the Star and Garter. Drawings made in the area in 1807 (Leeds Museum collection) show the rear of the building, possibly before the stable/coach-house range was built; the rear range is possibly earlier than the frontage.

Listing NGR: SE2621835557

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465564
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Parsons Directory' in Parsons Directory, (1826)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12757/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Karran. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].