4, TREVELYAN SQUARE, 1-13, BOAR LANE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255878

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: 1-13, BOAR LANE

Statutory Address: 4, TREVELYAN SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 4, TREVELYAN SQUARE, 1-13, BOAR LANE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255878 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 20:25:57.

Location

Statutory Address: 1-13, BOAR LANE

Statutory Address: 4, TREVELYAN SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30195 33358

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW BOAR LANE 714-1/78/37 (South side) 22/03/74 Nos.1-13 (Consecutive) (Formerly Listed as: BOAR LANE (South side) Nos.1-11 (Consecutive) Trevelyan Chambers) (Formerly Listed as: BOAR LANE (South side) No.12) (Formerly Listed as: BOAR LANE (South side) No.13)

GV II

Includes: No.4 TREVELYAN SQUARE. Temperance hotel, shops, offices and warehouse, now shops and offices. 1869-72, altered C20. By Thomas Ambler for Alderman John Barran. Red brick, stone dressings, mansard roof with pavilions, grey slates. Ashlar, plain and fishscale grey slate pavilion roof to No.12; contrasting red and orange brick, stone dressings, hipped grey slate roof to No.13. 5 multi-flue stacks. Corner site to left in symmetrical Italianate style; to right Gothic Revival style. 5-storey, 13-window range to Boar Lane, (first floor), most with paired round-headed lights flanked by pilasters, the arches having keystones carved with a cartouche. Windows 5, 8 and 9 have a single similar light; the curved corner to Briggate has the same. Second-floor windows similar, but with plain keystones and small pierced balconies to windows 1, 3, 11 and 13. Square-headed windows to 3rd floor, arranged as lower floors and in moulded architraves. Both entrances, below windows 5 and 9, have plain stone surrounds to a deeply-recessed doorway, the lintel inscribed 'Trevelyan Chambers'; broken segmental pediment above, enclosing cornucopiae and cartouches with bust of Donne (left) and Milton (right). C20 ground-floor shop windows, boarded. Entablatures at sill level decorated with scrolls to first floor, ashlar impost bands, heavy modillion eaves cornice below the 5th, attic, storey; parapet pierced by dormer windows, Nos 1, 3, 11 & 13 having paired round-headed lights beneath elaborate semicircular pediments with oculi. The

remaining dormers have keyed architraves under an open triangular pediment, Nos 2 & 12 paired, under a wide pediment with oculi. Left return, (No.27 Briggate): a curved single-light window to street corner; the 3 windows of this facade are identical in detail to the first 3 windows of the frontage to Boar Lane. To right, 4 storeys, 1-window range to Boar Lane of 5 lights linked by stone piers; similar window to 2nd and 3rd floors with increasingly elaborate Gothic tracery based on the Casa d'Oro in Venice. Mid C20 shop front to ground floor. Panelled parapet with quatrefoil piercings. To right again, 4-storey, 1-window range to Boar Lane; 3-window range to right return (former White Horse Street), with lean-to single-storey entrance bay to stairs to right. Full-width 4-light mullion and transom windows to ground and first floors; those to first floor having ornate cusped heads. Similar 2-light window to 3rd floor. C20 shop windows, boarded. Continuous head and sill mouldings; carved and panelled corner shafts terminating in gabled finials with gargoyles; pierced stone parapet. Right return: moulded ogee-arched doorway to right; single-light windows and corner shafts as front. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: John Barran pioneered the mass production of ready-made clothes in Leeds. He owned a shop at No.1 Boar Lane when the street was redeveloped in 1869 and was able to build the present structure as temperance hotel, shops and storerooms. In 1872 the building housed: No.1, J Barran, tailor and outfitter; No.2, tobacconist; No.3, dining room; No.4, brush and fancy warehouse; No.5, boot and shoe manufacturer; No.6, tobacconist; No.7, Thomas Twist, Trevelyan Temperance Hotel; Nos 8 & 9, fish and game dealer; No.10, portmanteau maker; No.11, Brooke Bond and Co, teamen; No.12, SR Burton, wholesale stationer, ink and sealing wax manufacturer; No.13, John H Sugden, tobacconist. 3 years later, upper floors of No.13 also occupied by a revolving shutter manufacturer and a consulting engineer, both probably using the separate entrance via the doorway on White Horse Street. The Temperance Hotel continued to operate until the end of the First World War. The building was probably named after Sir Walter C Trevelyan, 1797-1879, the President of the United Kingdom Temperance Alliance or Sir Charles Edward Trevelyan, (1807-1886), whose career as Governor of Madras, Secretary of State to the Treasury, and in Ireland, made him a well-known contemporary figure whose name was associated with a variety of social questions. Thomas Ambler was employed by Barran to design his model clothing factory and showroom, St Paul's

House, Park Square, and other buildings in Boar Lane are attributed to him. (Dictionary of National Biography; Linstrum D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: 1978-: 305, 306, 370; Ryott D: John Barran's of Leeds, 1851-1951: 1951-; Porter T: Directory of Leeds and its Neighbourhood: Leeds: 1873-).



Listing NGR: SE3019533358

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465519

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Concise Dictionary of National Biography, (1939)
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 305, 306
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 370
Porter, T, Directory of Leeds and Neighbourhood, (1873)
Ryott, D , John Barrans of Leeds 1851-1951, (1951)

End of official listing