THE THREE LEGS PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255902
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
THE THREE LEGS PUBLIC HOUSE, 9, THE HEADROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE THREE LEGS PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255902 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2019 at 09:55:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE THREE LEGS PUBLIC HOUSE, 9, THE HEADROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30362 33704

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW THE HEADROW 714-1/76/387 (South side) No.9 The Three Legs Public House

II

Public house. Mid C19, altered early C20. Brick faced with glazed faience and terracotta, slate roof. 3 storeys, 5 first-floor windows, the central window an oriel. Central arched entrance flanked by wide windows, paired windows above, all with keystones. Rectangular 2nd-floor windows divided by stepped pilasters; modillion eaves cornice, strapwork parapet with slender urns, end stacks flanked by screen walls to conceal shallow pitch of roof. The faience decoration extends across the ground floor and the oriel which has a plaque with the Three Legs symbol flanked by leaves and scrolls below and a balustrade above. INTERIOR: replanned and refitted late C20. The property was part of the Harrison estate by 1638 and in 1897 was sold to the Leeds Estate Company. In 1898 SW Wood, the owner of The Scarborough, Bishopgate Street (qv) bought the public house and sold it in 1902 to Joshua Tetley and Sons, the building then including a shop. The alterations and refronting date from that time.





Listing NGR: SE3036133698

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465468
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10403/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R. Handford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].