Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255904.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2020 at 00:06:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 33564 35305



SE33NW BEECH LANE, Gipton 714-1/7/694 (North West side) 25/06/93 Church of the Epiphany (Formerly Listed as: BEECH LANE, Gipton The Epiphany)


Also known as: The Bishop Burroughs Memorial Church of the Epiphany BEECH LANE Gipton. Anglican parish church. 1936-38, altered 1976. Designed by NF Cachemaille Day and built by Armitage Hodgson of Leeds. Reinforced concrete with brick cladding and plain tile roof. PLAN: nave and chancel under a single roof with square transepts, curved east end and projecting eastern lady chapel also with curved east end. EXTERIOR: chamfered concrete plinth, concrete floor bands and raised coped parapets. West gable end has single-storey projecting porches to north and south, each with double 10-panel doors and chamfered surrounds with concrete hoods. Gable has 2 tall buttresses to centre with window between, linked by a brick cross to flanking bell openings. Nave: 3 pairs of tall rectangular windows , transepts have 4 similar windows. Lady Chapel: 3 tall rectangular windows to each side, 9 similar windows to apse, below smaller windows. INTERIOR: stepped flat concrete ceilings supported on tall plain circular columns. Columns form a continuous curved arcade. Raised circular altar space, raised choir stalls on either side behind 2nd row of tall circular columns. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Gipton estate was one of the first 'garden' estates in the north of England, city centre slum clearance taking place during the 1930s. A temporary church was built in 1936; Cachemaille-Day's plans were inspired by the new church at Coutances and an uncluttered open space was the main consideration, pews rather than chairs, short side altar rails, an 8-foot screen wall separating the high altar from the Lady Chapel, originally intended to be dedicated to St Edmund. A small pulpit wound round one of the columns but was replaced by a larger which was later removed. A tall bell-tower over the Beech Lane entrance was too costly and a steel and masonry spire surmounted by a star was erected over the E gable, this had to be dismantled in 1976. The foundation stone was laid 12 July 1938 by Elsie Burroughs, sister of the late Bishop of Ripon, and the consecration took place on 14 May 1938 in the presence of the Princess Royal.

Early structural problems included roof panels coming loose because the fixing nails were too short and of iron instead of copper, and the wooden floor tiles rose. Acoustical problems were known as 'the Epiphany echo'. Furniture was given by other churches, including the font from St Paulinus', now with a tall cover which is a replica of the lost spire, given by the Mothers' Union.

Listing NGR: SE3356435306


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].