Former Beeston Hill Board School

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255905
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
Hillside, Beeston Road, Holbeck, LS11 8ND

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255905.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2021 at 10:29:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
Hillside, Beeston Road, Holbeck, LS11 8ND

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 29547 31721

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27 April 2021 to update the name and address and to reformat the text to current standards

SE23SE 714-1/10/534 LEEDS BEESTON ROAD (west side) Hillside Former Beeston Hill Board School

(Formerly listed as Joseph Priestley College, BEESTON ROAD, Beeston Hill)

GV II Formerly known as: Beeston Hill Board School BEESTON ROAD, Beeston Hill. Former Board school. 1880. By RL Adams. Red brick, stone details, slate roof. Two storeys over basement, five bays with 1,5,3,5,1 windows. Classical style. Symmetrical facade: projecting end bays have 'BOYS' and 'GIRLS' entrances, doorway with architrave, console brackets, plaque, triangular pediment; pilastered ground floor, cornice string carried all around the building; reeded architrave to three-light first-floor window, metopes above, deep eaves cornice, pyramid roof. The central bay projects slightly, doorway now a window, in Classical surround, pilasters, three narrow first floor windows, pilasters between, cornice and segmental pediment over; ornate pedimented gable above with clock. Bay two and left return: round-arched ground-floor windows (former covered playground) have carved imposts and keystones, rectangular windows to upper floor and to bay four, all in stone architraves to front.

INTERIOR: not inspected. A fine example of Richard Adams' two storey schools designed in a Classical style. He was probably influenced by the style used by George Corson for the School Board Offices and Municipal Offices 1878-84 (see also Armley Road School). By 1903 the school had 1,313 scholars in two departments, mixed and infants; a rear wing was added before 1908.

Listing NGR: SE2954731721

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465474
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].