SCARBROUGH HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255910

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: SCARBROUGH HOTEL, BISHOPGATE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCARBROUGH HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255910 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 08:01:02.

Location

Statutory Address: SCARBROUGH HOTEL, BISHOPGATE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29984 33323

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE2933SE 714-1/77/24

LEEDS BISHOPGATE STREET (East side) Scarbrough Hotel

II

Public house. Late C18 with earlier remains; early C20 refronting. Brick with terracotta tiles, probably slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 first-floor windows. Decorative details to facade include attached Ionic columns, contrasting colours to window surrounds, moulded swags, dentilled cornice and parapet with name of hotel and brewery in raised letters. INTERIOR: C20 public house fittings; the rear half of the roof structure was examined in detail and the front half was visible. It is extensively altered but shows 3 main phases of construction: i) at the south-west corner a horizontal beam set diagonally to the angle of the outer walls is in the position of a dragon beam in a timber-framed building; it was not examined closely but appears to have a mortice cut in the outer end of the upper face. At the same corner a rafter rises to the ridge and might be part of a hipped roof structure; much of the timber is reused and brick work visible under the eaves appears to be C18 or earlier, hand made and irregular in size. ii) 2 trusses comprising pairs of tall queen posts clasping a high collar; pegged joints; lath and plaster and whitewashing to timbers in the front half of the roof and at gable ends indicates that the roof space was divided into rooms lit by gable windows. iii) A spine wall constructed forward of the ridge; cross beams cut, the rear portions lifted and built into the raised back wall of the building; ironwork used in the alterations. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building stands on the site of the manor house of medieval Leeds, the brick hall illustrated in Cossin's map of 1725 having been extensively rebuilt by Richard Wilson in 1761-5. By the early C19 the building was a hotel established by Henry Scarborough, the upper part of the house being altered again at that time, but the building remembered as formerly the residence of the Wilson family. The surviving roof structure appears to correspond to the alterations: phase 1 being the remains of the manor house structure built by the Wilsons; phase 2, the tall queen posts and lining to walls, being the work of Henry Scarborough; and phase 3 the early C20 refurbishing when the frontage was encased. (Beresford M: East End, West End; Leeds 1684-1842: Leeds:

1989-: 128-130; Cossins: Map of Leeds: 1725-).



Listing NGR: SE2998433323

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465489

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 128-130

End of official listing