This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SCHOOL OF EDUCATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SCHOOL OF EDUCATION

List entry Number: 1255932

Location

22, LODGE STREET
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, 5, HILLARY PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465461

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2934NE HILLARY PLACE, University Campus 714-1/72/1153 (South side) No.5 School of Education

GV II

Includes: No.22 LODGE STREET University Campus. House, now part of Leeds University School of Education. 1852, altered later C19. For John Crofts, mill owner. Red brick, stone details, slate roof, reduced stacks forward of ridge to left and right of centre. 3 storeys, a plain rectangular building of 7 x 3 bays. A wide central entrance with paired 4-panel double doors, plain fanlight, ashlar rusticated pilasters, moulded imposts and architrave, keystone and cornice. Plate-glass sash windows, stone sill bands, bracketed sills to 1st and 2nd floors. Wooden gutter brackets; closely-set purlin ends on gabled left return. INTERIOR: a wide entrance lobby with moulded plaster ceiling, screen with etched glazing to door, paired Corinthian columns in antis support round archways left and right leading to corridors, archway in front to large staircase hall with panelled surround to fireplace. 6-panel doors, moulded ceiling cornices. The main staircase rising to the 1st floor has turned balusters and a gallery with scrolled wrought-iron balustrade, top lit and having a moulded coved plaster ceiling. A 2nd service staircase has turned column-on-vase balusters and rises to the top of the house. Several rooms reputed to retain original fireplaces, plaster detailing. John Crofts was one of the partners in Crofts, Donisthorpe and Co., of Larchfield Mills, Hunslet. In 1917 the house was the home of the Vicar of Leeds; in 1926 it was purchased by the University. (Gosden, PHJH & Taylor AJ: Studies in the History of a University: Leeds: 1974-).



Listing NGR: SE2959134531

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gosden, P H, Taylor, A J, Studies in the History of a University 1874-1974, (1974)

National Grid Reference: SE 29591 34531

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255932 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 04:04:45.

End of official listing