SE3532 TEMPLE NEWSAM PARK, Temple Newsam
714-1/46/1130 Temple Newsam House
(Formerly Listed as:
TEMPLE NEWSAM PARK
Country house, now decorative arts museum. Early C16, altered
1630, 1792-96 and late C19. For Thomas, Lord Darcy; altered
and extended 1630 by Sir Arthur Ingram, S wing remodelled
1792-96 for Frances Gibson, widow of the 9th Viscount Irwin,
William Johnson architect; 'some spectacular antiquarian
improvements' (guidebook) for Emily Meynell Ingram in 1877 by
GF Bodley and in 1889 by CE Kemp.
Stone foundations, red brick, mainly Flemish bond with some
irregular header bond and decorative brickwork C16, stone
dressings, slate hipped roofs.
PLAN: built round 3 sides of a square court, 2 and 3 storeys
with basements; windows mostly wide canted bays and narrow
straight-sided full-height bays, stone mullions and transoms.
EXTERIOR: North wing, N front: 3 storeys, 7 bays, projecting
central C19 entrance bay has moulded 4-centred arch, 4-light
window and shield with motto above, 5-light mullion and
transom window to 1st floor.
West front, facade to garden: 3 storeys, 9 bays, the central 5
bays are the earliest part of the house, with diaper-pattern
brickwork, central canted bay window, outer 2 bays are C17
work, lead down pipes with heraldic emblems.
S wing, garden front: the late C18 rebuild is in the style of
the earlier work but details differ. The tall windows have
finely-carved recessed cusped panels to the mullions and
lintels have fluted frieze with paterae on entablature with
moulded cornice; a plaque on the central bay records the
rebuilding; terrace with stone balustrade, steps and urns.
The courtyard side of this wing has the projecting main
entrance bay centre, c1625 lower 2 stages, ashlar, rusticated
quoins, keyed round arch, flanking paired fluted columns,
entablature and dentilled cornice, carved coat of arms and
broken pediment with bust; late C18 6-light mullion and
transom window with king mullion to upper storey.
The courtyard facades are united by the roof balustrade,
original lettering cut in stone 1628, replaced in metal 1788:
'ALL GLORY AND PRAISE BE GIVEN TO GOD THE FATHER THE SON AND
HOLY GHOST ON HIGH PEACE ON EARTH GOOD WILL TOWARDS MEN HONOUR
AND TRUE ALLEGIANCE TO OUR GRACIOUS KING LOVING AFFECTION
AMONGST HIS SUBJECTS HEALTH AND PLENTY BE WITHIN THIS HOUSE'.
INTERIOR: described in the guide book, substantial alterations
were made in mid C18 Rococo style by Henry Ingram, 7th
Viscount Irwin; and in the later C19. Important features
include: N wing entrance on the site of the Tudor gatehouse,
now houses the public entrance and shop. The 1st-floor picture
gallery was the Jacobean Long Gallery, altered 1738-45 to
designs by Daniel Garrett, furniture, plasterwork, fireplaces
of this date.
The West wing has Tudor timberwork surviving, including carved
mouldings and spandrels to lintel beams above the bay windows,
a Tudor arched niche and doorway, plaster ceiling probably
C17, further remains obscured by later work. On the ground
floor C18 service rooms include document safe, butler's pantry
with steel-lined plate safe and locking mechanism worked from
the floor above.
South wing: the C17 porch has double doors in C18 Gothick
style with glazed tracery, similar solid inner doors. They
open into the Great Hall with C19 Jacobean-style decoration
and woodwork, recently restored. Other important features of
the interior include the Chinese Drawing room redecorated in
1827-28, oak staircase by CE Kempe, 1894-97; the Palladian
library of 1738-45, built in the end of the Jacobean Long
Gallery and converted to chapel 1877 by GF Bodley, reconverted
The house was bought from the Hon. Edward Wood for »30,000 in
1922 by Leeds Corporation and in 1938 became part of the City
Art Gallery; much C19 work was removed in the late 1930s and
is now being replaced. The building and its contents are
extensively recorded in the Leeds Arts Calendar, the in-house
magazine of the Leeds Art Collections Fund.
(Leeds City Art Galleries: Temple Newsam (guidebook): 1989-).
Listing NGR: SE3569732136