MOUNT ST JOSEPHS COLLEGE OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255946

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Statutory Address: MOUNT ST JOSEPHS COLLEGE OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN, HEADINGLEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOUNT ST JOSEPHS COLLEGE OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255946 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 10:46:38.

Location

Statutory Address: MOUNT ST JOSEPHS COLLEGE OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN, HEADINGLEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 28389 35968

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2835NW HEADINGLEY LANE, Headingley 714-1/64/787 (North East side) 05/08/76 Mount St Joseph's College of the Blessed Virgin

GV II

Wesleyan college, now Roman Catholic College and Leeds Diocesan RE centre. 1867-68 with later C19 extensions. By Wilson and Wilcox of Bath. Rock-faced coursed stone (Potternewton stone) with ashlar dressings from the Meanwood quarries; slate roofs. Large and low, 2 storeys, 7 bays, courtyard plan. Gothic Revival style. Recased stone steps to central gabled porch: double doors, plate tracery overlight, moulded Gothic arch; 3-stage clock tower above with 3-light traceried window, arcaded clock stage, conical stone dome on short columns, bud finial. 3-window flanking bays: 3-light traceried windows to ground floor, 1st-floor windows are gabled through eaves dormers with quatrefoil lights in the tympana, the central window surmounted by a double flue chimney; pierced parapets, end stacks. Outer projecting 3-window bays in similar style but with twin pyramid roofs with small gabled dormer windows and elaborate wrought-iron finials. Possibly later gabled bay far left with plain surrounds to windows; a 4-window single-storey bay far right with traceried 2-light windows, pilasters between. Rear: walling of coursed squared ashlar, large grey slates to roofs; central chapel with 3-light E window and 2-light cross windows to side walls, 2-storey ranges with shouldered arches to ground-floor windows. INTERIOR: not examined; plan as described in the 1872 Directory comprised: entrance hall under tower, library right, board room left, main corridor running along rear, 8 students' day-rooms off; left wing: 4 lecture rooms, one with an open timber roof and a chemistry laboratory with lecture room. Right wing: dining hall with open timbered roof, kitchen at right-angles, governor's and housekeeper's apartments. Sick and convalescent wards and students' rooms on 1st floor. Contractor Mr Whiteley of Leeds, Governor the Revd John Farrar. Built as a training college for the Wesleyan church, the 1889 OS map shows rear wings, the E wing L-shaped to form a small courtyard on the E side. The rear wings extended, chapel and flanking ranges built to form an enclosed rear courtyard late C19-early C20. In 1924-1930 it was leased by Leeds University as a hall of residence and renamed Devonshire

Hall, that name transferred to the existing hall of residence on Cumberland Road (qv). (Porter's Leeds Directory: 1872-: XVIII; Gosden, PHJH & Taylor, AJ: Studies in the History of a University: Leeds: 1974-: 59).



Listing NGR: SE2838935968

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465429

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gosden, P H, Taylor, A J, Studies in the History of a University 1874-1974, (1974), 59
'Porters Directory' in Leeds, (1872), 18

End of official listing