This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ARMLEY PUBLIC LIBRARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ARMLEY PUBLIC LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1255974

Location

ARMLEY PUBLIC LIBRARY, STOCKS HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465371

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2733 STOCKS HILL, Armley 714-1/33/498 (South side) 05/08/76 Armley Public Library (Formerly Listed as: STOCKS HILL, Armley Library)

GV II

Public library. Dated 1901. By Percy Robinson. Red brick, stone dressings, slate roof. Semicircular stone porch on corner with arcade of 3 large round arches on short bulbous columns, richly-carved spandrels and frieze over, one arch has wrought-iron entrance gates, the other 2 have stair running through with heavy balustrade and iron cresting to stone hand rail. Set back over this corner feature is short brick tower with stone quoins, battered stone clock stage in diagonally set square panel surmounted by squat louvred wood bellcote with Ionic pilasters and corner brackets and ogee-shaped lead-clad dome with finial. On each return elevation is large Dutch gable with stone shaped pediment with datestone and coat of arms. The N elevation to Stocks Hill continues another 5 bays with Ionic pilasters between bays supporting continuous entablature with modillion cornice. High up under entablature is continuous row of 3-light stone mullion windows. Below, the basement in ashlar with large segmental-headed windows. Slate roof with flush roof lights. INTERIOR: on the wall of the entrance gateway a plaque records the opening of the building 17 April 1902 by Councillor John Bowling; mosaic floor to entrance way and corridor, glazed wooden screen with leaded glass in Art Nouveau designs, 2 panels with coat of arms, glazed double doors with overlights and wooden panels above surmounted by broken ogee pediments; glazed dome with moulded ribs and transoms framing leaded glass panels. The main hall has pilasters between windows rising to a bracketed cornice, moulded friezes over windows; an elliptically-arched and panelled barrel vault with 2 rows of continuous flush roof lights, cast-iron frames.



Listing NGR: SE2722133506

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 27221 33506

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255974 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 02:20:13.

End of official listing