WINKER GREEN MILL RESERVOIR DAMS AND LINKING WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256013

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: WINKER GREEN MILL RESERVOIR DAMS AND LINKING WALLS, STANNINGLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WINKER GREEN MILL RESERVOIR DAMS AND LINKING WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256013 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 10:36:04.

Location

Statutory Address: WINKER GREEN MILL RESERVOIR DAMS AND LINKING WALLS, STANNINGLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 26976 33689

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2633 STANNINGLEY ROAD, Armley 714-1/32/496 (South side) Winker Green Mill, reservoir dams and linking walls

II

Scribbling and fulling mill with boundary walls. 1825-50 with addition 1871-89. For the firm of William Eyres and Sons, (Benjamin, William, Samuel and Joseph), clothiers. Coursed squared gritstone rubble and brick on stone foundations, slate roofs. The 4 surviving buildings comprise the entrance block, mill range, south workshop and north weaving shed, plus 3 reservoir dams and linking walls. Entrance block: stone ground floor, brick above; 3 storeys, 11 first-floor windows, one blocked: slightly cambered brick arches, small-pane frame to 2nd floor far right; entrance passage with round arch of rusticated stone voussoirs, pedestrian door to right; no ground-floor fenestration, originally extended much further to right, (the range was over 91m long and contained offices and warehousing). Mill range: 4 storeys, 19 bays with added 6-bay similar range at east end; some stone to ground floor, the remainder brick, stone lintels to ground-floor openings, elsewhere cambered brick arches; moulded cornice, scroll kneelers to west gable, rainwater heads dated 1833; includes remains of earlier engine house, 2nd engine house of 2 storeys, stair tower with taking-in doors on south side, chimney at NE corner of brick with stone band, square base, octagonal shaft, top missing, water-control mechanism on north side of building (site of reservoir). South workshop: stone built throughout, 4 storeys, 10 first-floor windows on north side only, no fenestration to ground and first floors on south side, 2-light windows, plain sills and lintels, flat-faced mullions, north side ground floor, one window with small-pane frames, wide doorway in plain stone surround far right, cast-iron pulley bracket attached to wall nearby, taking in doors to left of centre. North weaving shed: added 1871-1889 near north side of mill, west end; stone west wall, the rest brick, trapezoidal in plan, single-storey, top lights. INTERIOR: not seen but recorded in detail by RCHME and includes working floors of traditional construction, timber beams and cast-iron columns; drying floors over the boiler house have pierced cast-iron plates carried on cast-iron

framework (see report). SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: boundary wall approx 1.5m high and 70m long, extends along road edge on north side of the mill ground, rounded coping stones; probably incorporates part of the front wall of the originally much longer entrance range. A rare example of one of the earliest phases of the factory system used for the production of cloth, several processes of textile manufacture being practised on the premises. The lack of fenestration on the outer walls indicates the need for security at a time when new methods and machines were jealously guarded by mill owners. The Eyres also built housing for their employees close to the mill (RCHME Yorkshire Textile Mills Survey: Winker Green Mills, Armley, Leeds (M.98): 1987-).





Listing NGR: SE2697633689

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465364

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Winker Green Mills Armley Leeds (M98) Yorkshire Textile Mills Survey, (1987)

End of official listing