Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256014.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2020 at 07:55:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 22738 34678



SE23SW STANNINGLEY ROAD, Stanningley 714-1/9/1115 (South side) Church of St Thomas


Anglican church. 1841. By H Rogerson. Organ chamber on N side and vestry on S side added 1870. Coursed squared gritstone ashlar, stone slate roof. Neo-Norman style. EXTERIOR: nave of 5 bays, pilasters between lancet windows in moulded arches with attached columns, moulded string at impost level. At the top of each pilaster is a circular iron tie-rod plate, corbel-table and parapet coping above. West tower of 3 stages: buttresses carried up as corner pilasters with slender attached columns to stage 3. Norman-style west entrance has double doors with scroll hinges, in surround with paired attached columns, zigzag and roll moulding to arch, and gable above with moulded coping and carved head at apex, 3 lancet windows in arcade and on N and S sides; clock in zigzag moulding to stage 2. Stage 3: paired lancets in moulded arch, columns with stiff-leaf capitals, corbel-table and gargoyles, moulded eaves and pyramid roof. Chancel added bays are flat-roofed, with round windows and corbel table; E end: 3 round-arched lancets, paired attached columns, zigzag ornament, animal masks; round window above. INTERIOR: nave roof barrel-vaulted with tie-rod trusses resting on corbels with short attached columns, W gallery with arcaded front panels, columns (?cast-iron) with reeded cushion capitals. Wide and high round arch to chancel, flanking circular piercings. Chancel: re-set brass rail to forward altar, polychrome tiled floors, white marble steps, E window with faded stained glass of the 1860s, 4 painted panels with Creed, Ten Commandments, Lord's Prayer. Brass eagle lectern in memory of Rachel Butler, 1888; on the S wall of the nave a marble memorial by A Welsh of Leeds in memory of John Butler of West Royd, d.1884, erected by the men of Stanningley Iron Works, their employer is recorded as 'A man distinguished for uprightness of character and kindness of heart'. The W gallery is reached by a straight flight of stone steps against the S wall of the tower, at the top of which is a balustrade of turned columns and handrail terminal with Romanesque-style muzzled lion's head in cast-iron. The foundation stone was laid on 5 November 1839 by John Farrar of Grove House, Pudsey. The consecration by the Bishop of Ripon took place on 29 March 1841 in the presence of Dean

Hook of Leeds and the Vicar of Bramley, of whose parish Stanningley formed a part. (Payne A, Rector of Stanningley (church booklet): St Thomas' Church Stanningley, 150th Anniversary 1841-1991).

Listing NGR: SE2273834678


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Payne, A , St Thomas Church Stanningley 150th Anniversry 1841-1991 (Church Booklet),


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/05724/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Alison Glew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].