ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1256039
Date first listed:
26-Sep-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, SPRINGFIELD MOUNT

Map

Ordnance survey map of ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256039 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 20:23:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, SPRINGFIELD MOUNT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29118 34372

Details

LEEDS

SE2934SW SPRINGFIELD MOUNT, University Campus 714-1/73/1172 (South West side) 26/09/63 Adult Education Centre, University of Leeds (Formerly Listed as: SPRINGFIELD MOUNT (South West side) Priory of St Wilfrid (Hostel of the Resurrection))

GV II*

Priory and hostel, now adult education centre. 1908-1928. By Temple Moore. For the Community of the Resurrection. Red/brown brick, stone plinth and dressings, tile roof. In Tudor style. U-plan on ground rising from E to W. Central 4-storey entrance/staircase block in the form of a gatehouse tower, 3 stone steps up to studded double doors in chamfered 4-centred Tudor arch with shields carved with 'CR' in spandrels below a heavy moulded string, angel with shield and 3-light traceried staircase window above; embattled parapets, flanking multi-flue stacks and octagonal corner turrets with bellcote; 2-storey, 5-bay chapel range to right with buttresses between traceried 4-light and cross windows to ground floor, arched windows of 2 and 3 trefoil-headed lights above; refectory/dormitory range to left of 2 storeys and attic over basement with arched entrance left, mullioned and cross windows, M-roof with 6 gabled dormers above eaves and stacks forward of ridge to left of centre and far left. Rear wings at each end of the front range in similar style with bay windows facing courtyard and service/carriage entrances on the slightly recessed SE side. Leaded windows in cast-iron frames, casements with pierced handles throughout. INTERIOR: the entrance hall has steps up to the arcaded raised ground floor with corridors extending the full length of the building, lit from the courtyard and having a stone staircase with quatrefoil piercings to the stairwell walls at the angle with the rear wings. The end room of the N wing has a fireplace with stone surround and a plaster panel with Madonna and Child surrounded by angels and wreath of fruit and flowers, bay window; studded oak doors to principal rooms, clothes presses/cupboards on left corridor of oak with iron hinges and fittings, stone surrounds to fireplaces and a store room with original shelving and cresting. The central main stone staircase rises to landing with carved surrounds to doorways on right to

chapel (now lecture room) and left to refectory (now refreshment room). Chapel: retains carved oak screen incorporating seats, gallery over, at NW end the gable window of 5 lights with stained glass depicting the Madonna flanked by saints, aumbry, piscina, niche, doorway in recess leading to rear stairs and wing. Refectory: a medieval-style stone fireplace at the raised (dais) entrance end has a carved panel with Agnus Dei and angels; at the lower end a service hatch and doorway to service rooms and stairs. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Community of the Resurrection, an Anglican monastic order, was founded by Charles Gore in 1892. This hostel provided accommodation for candidates economically debarred from Oxford or Cambridge who were able to enter the priesthood by reading for degrees in theology at Leeds University. Temple Lushington Moore died in 1920 and the building work was completed by his son-in-law and partner, Leslie Moore. The building was purchased by the University in 1976. (Beresford M: Walks Round Red Brick: Leeds University Press: 1980-: 76; Adult Education Centre: Some Historical Notes).



Listing NGR: SE2911834372

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465344
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M , Walks Round Red Brick, (1980), 76

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16226/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Carr. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].