Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256047.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Dec-2021 at 10:11:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 31064 36651



SE3136 HAREHILLS LANE, Chapel Allerton 714-1/20/1301 (North side) 05/08/76 Chapel Allerton Hospital (Formerly Listed as: GLEDHOW PARK DRIVE, Chapel Allerton Chapel Allerton Hospital)


Formerly known as: Gledhow Grove GLEDHOW PARK Chapel Allerton. Mansion, now hospital. 1835-40, altered C20. John Clark. For John Hives. Ashlar, slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays with 4:3:4 windows. Greek Revival style, quoin pilasters and plinth. Central pedimented bay projects, pilasters and 2 giant fluted Ionic columns in antis; 8-panel double doors, overlight with roundels, shouldered architrave, in round-arched recess. Entrance obscured by covered walkway to hospital buildings. Sashes with glazing bars, ground floor in shouldered architraves, plain lintels and moulded sill band to 1st floor. Hipped roof with fine chimneys in the form of linked short Ionic columns. Rear: 2 wings, 4-storey tower with round-arched windows, top storey rebuilt above band with roundel decoration. Left return: 3 bays, 1:3:3 windows, the left 2 bays probably a later C19 addition, sashes with glazing bars and C20 casements, deep ashlar eaves band and blocking course, added dormers. Right return: left bay has a fine semicircular 3-light bow window with attached fluted Ionic columns supporting a deep entablature, 3 sashes to 1st floor. INTERIOR: vestibule and entrance hall with green marble and stone floors, cross-corridor plan with 4 fluted Ionic columns in hall, panelled ceiling with egg-and-dart, bead-and-reel and acanthus plaster decoration. Fine tunnel-vaulted stairwell with divided staircase, ornate iron balusters, round-arched stair windows. John Clark also designed the flax mill at Bank Mills, East Street (qv) for John Hives of the firm of Hives and Atkinson. John Hives was one of the mill owners who moved from the increasingly polluted Park Square area to the out-townships in the early C19 (Beresford p.298). The house was originally named Gledhow Grove. (Thoresby Society Publication, LX & LXI, 131 & 132: Beresford MW: East End, West End. The Face of Leeds 1684-1842: Leeds: 1988-: 298; Linstrum D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: London: 1978-: 83).

Listing NGR: SE3106436651


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 298
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 83
'Thoresby Society Publication' in Thoresby Society Publication, ()
'Thoresby Society Publication' in Thoresby Society Publication, ()


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12310/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Krystyna Szulecka. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].