RED HILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256049

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: RED HILL, 33, SHIRE OAK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RED HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 22:06:20.

Location

Statutory Address: RED HILL, 33, SHIRE OAK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 28370 36177

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2836SW SHIRE OAK ROAD, Headingley 714-1/62/820 (North side (off)) No.33 Red Hill

II

House, now flats. 1900-01. By Francis Bedford and Sidney Kitson. For Edward Audus Hirst. Gritstone (snecked) to ground floor, tile-hung jettied upper floor with timber-framed cross-wing and brick chimneys; steeply-pitched tile roof. In Vernacular Revival style. 2 storeys with attic, 3 bays. Central timber porch under deep jetty with spandrels carved with foliage and initials: 'EAH' and 'EMN'; mullioned windows of 3 and 5 lights. First-floor windows all gabled: a 6-light oriel window in the timber-framed left bay, 4-light casements centre and right, leaded panes. Deep eaves, tall brick stack forward of ridge between bays 2 and 3 and at gable left. INTERIOR: the front principal rooms retain original fine details and craftsmanship including: entrance hall with half-glazed door and screen to former stair hall with leaded lights, fireplace with wooden surround framing 3 beaten copper panels with Art Nouveau bosses and scrolls, deep frieze of Tudor roses and leaves; front left: inglenook-style fireplace in panelled recess with Classical surround, flanking fire windows with leaded lights, benches and moulded architrave, ceiling friezes of oak leaves, naturalistic flowers and foliage; front right: fine inlaid panelling, fire surround, fitted cupboards with leaded glass fronts, copper Art Nouveau light switch and service bell plaques. The staircase removed when the house divided into 6 flats. 'A good example of how the achievement of Norman Shaw and his generation was diffused throughout the country, raising the general standard of domestic architecture...' (Stamp and Goulancourt, p.216). The architects were referred to in Muthesius' 'Das Englische Haus' (1904) as 'a firm of very promising young architects'. (Kelly's Directory of Leeds: 1905-; Stamp, G & Goulancourt, A: The English House 1860-1914: 1986-: 216).

Listing NGR: SE2837036177

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465308

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stamp, G, Goulancourt, A, The English House 1860-1914 The Flowering of English Domestic Architecture, (1986), 216
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1905)

End of official listing