SHADWELL GRANGE, STABLE COTTAGE AND SHADWELL GRANGE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256110

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: SHADWELL GRANGE, STABLE COTTAGE AND SHADWELL GRANGE FARMHOUSE, SHADWELL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHADWELL GRANGE, STABLE COTTAGE AND SHADWELL GRANGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 11:25:30.

Location

Statutory Address: SHADWELL GRANGE, STABLE COTTAGE AND SHADWELL GRANGE FARMHOUSE, SHADWELL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 32793 39872

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 33 NW LEEDS SHADWELL LANE, Shadwell (South side (Off)) 714/7/1098 Shadwell range, Stable Cottage 05.08.1976 Cottage and Shadwell Grange Farmhouse

GV II

Large house, farmhouse, cottage, barns, outbuildings. Farmhouse and buildings c1810, large house 1821-31 for Stephen Nicholson with alterations and extension 1903 for Henry Barran. Coursed squared tooled gritstone, ashlar details, stone slate roofs to farm, slate roof to later house. U-plan farm complex, open to south, with farmhouse in NE corner and large house added to SW. Shadwell Grange: 2 storeys, 5x5 bays; garden front has central full-height bow with 3 sash windows to each storey, sashes with glazing bars to ground floor, 16-pane sashes above, 1st-floor band, band at eaves level and 1903 parapet and central pediment. Left return, entrance facade: central entrance bay of 1903 has double doors, traceried overlight, rusticated surround, pilasters and pediment with heraldic crest above, glazing bars and 16-pane sashes, 2 blind panels right. Set back, left: 2-storey service wing/outbuildings range; roof steps up to 4-window range with side-sliding sashes and C20 small-pane frames, plain lintels and sills, and passage to rear yard. North-facing facade: central former courtyard entrance range, now garage and farm store, of 2 storeys, 3 bays, end copings, central pedimented bay breaks forward with segmental arch to ground floor and keyed lunette opening in gable; distinctive square windows to upper storey have side-sliding sashes and projecting sills and lintels grooved as though for sliding external shutters. To right: Stable Cottage is part of the 4-window continuation of the west-facing service wing: plain lintel, sash with small-pane frame to right. Left of pedimented range: farmhouse rear wing has three 1st-floor windows with sliding shutters, 2 of them blocked; small ground floor openings and a taller sash stair window. There are 2 single-storey ranges attached to this facade: a former cart shed and a small farmhouse service bay. East-facing facade: Shadwell Grange Farmhouse of 2 storeys and 4 bays, right, has wooden architrave and plain stone lintel to entrance, flanked by sashes with glazing bars, far left a low segmental cart arch (access to rear farm yard). Centre of this range: a barn with tall segmental keyed arch, byre door left, 3 square openings above, now glazed, have rebated surrounds for shutters. Far left: a barn with lower roof, low segmental cart arch, window right, loading door above. The farmyard facades include inner arch to entrance (garage) range and distinctive tapered pilasters built of large blocks on the rear walls of Shadwell Grange Farmhouse. Contemporary range of single-storey farm buildings in yard are included, on line of division between Grange and Farmhouse. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: Kirkstall Abbey owned a total of 19 acres of land in Shadwell by c1195 and in 1333 and 1334 John de Shepley sued the Abbot of Kirkstall for 80 acres. Shadwell Moor Farm was built by a Leeds mill owner shortly after the enclosure of Shadwell Moor in 1803 and 1806. In 1821 the then Lord of the Manor, Stephen Nicholson (of Roundhay Park), bought the estate and built Shadwell Grange by 1831, possibly taking the name from associations with Kirkstall Abbey lands, but there is no evidence as to date. By 1841 the property was occupied by David Cooper and family and the farm had been renamed Shadwell Grange Farm. Occupiers in 1871-72 were C Empson and Elizabeth Shaw. In 1903 the property was owned by Henry Barran, son of the important Leeds clothing manufacturer, John Barran. He had alterations made, including entrance bay with family badge of a bear, a pun on the Barran name. The pilasters on the rear wall of Shadwell Grange Farmhouse are similar to those at Nos.1-7 Park Cottages, Mansion Lane, Roundhay (qv), also the property of Stephen Nicholson.



Listing NGR: SE3279339872

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465277

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Michelmore, DJH, West Yorkshire: an Archaeological Survey to AD 1500, (1981), 496
Shadwell Womens Institute, , Shadwell and its People, (1981)

End of official listing