ST PAULS HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1256126

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: ST PAULS HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, 20 AND 22, ST PAULS STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST PAULS HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256126 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 02:59:30.

Location

Statutory Address: ST PAULS HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, 20 AND 22, ST PAULS STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29569 33664

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2933NE ST PAUL'S STREET 714-1/75/378 (North side) 26/09/63 Nos.20 AND 22 St Paul's House and attached railings and gates (Formerly Listed as: ST PAUL'S STREET (North side) Nos.20 AND 22 St Paul's House)

GV II*

Factory and showrooms, now offices, with gates and railings. 1878, altered and restored with wholly new interior in 1976. By Thomas Ambler. For John Barran. Brick with terracotta by Doulton, wrought-iron gates by Frances Skidmore. 4 storeys with added attic storey, 12 x 5 bays with angled entrance bay at SE corner blocked 1976 and central entrance inserted on north side, facing Park Square. In an ornate Hispano-Moorish style. The blocked corner entrance, now a window, has a Moorish arch and paired flanking columns, walls lined with glazed tiles. The elaborate entrance gates of ribbon-like scrolls and flowers were reduced in height and removed to the N entrance 1976. Facades consist of a repeated bay design in which ground and mezzanine windows are united within a large segmental arch of moulded terracotta. 1st and 2nd floors similarly linked, a giant trabeated frame forming a transom at intermediate floor level and Moorish colonnettes as mullions. 3rd floor: triple Moorish arches to lower windows; bands of cusping at eaves, brick and terracotta parapet pierced with cinquefoil openings. Attached octagonal buttresses at the corners rise above the parapet as elaborate corner finials in the style of minarets, restored. Brick and stone piers on south side, cast-iron panels with star motifs between, repeated on other facades. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: John Barran was responsible for the development of Leeds as a centre of wholesale clothing manufacture, the siting of his factory in Park Square reflects the importance of this part of the city in the development of the clothing industry. He was Mayor of Leeds and MP 1876-85. Thomas Ambler also designed many of the buildings in Boar Lane. One of the few executed buildings influenced by the publication of Owen Jones' measured drawings of the Alhambra

in the 1840s (Linstrum, p.306).



Listing NGR: SE2956933664

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465247

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 306

End of official listing