GATES, GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO ROAD AND RIGHT OF WAY, RIDGEWAY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256130
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
GATES, GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO ROAD AND RIGHT OF WAY, RIDGEWAY HOUSE, GROSVENOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATES, GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO ROAD AND RIGHT OF WAY, RIDGEWAY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256130.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 02:29:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATES, GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO ROAD AND RIGHT OF WAY, RIDGEWAY HOUSE, GROSVENOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 28836 35911

Details

LEEDS

SE2835NE GROSVENOR ROAD, Headingley 714-1/65/750 (West side) Gates, gate piers and boundary walls to road and right of way, Ridgeway House

GV II

Boundary walls and gateways. c1848. Coursed squared gritstone, ashlar walling flanking gateway, wrought-iron and wooden gates. Enclosing and dividing the grounds of Ridgeway House, Cumberland Road (qv), with main gateway on Grosvenor Road, archway to ginnel on Cumberland Road, and gateway to grounds on Cumberland Road. Overall length approx 400m, composed of the following lengths: i) walling on the W side of Grosvenor Road between the gates and railings to Hilly Ridge House (qv) and the entrance to the right of way to the S; overall length approx 50m, height 2.5m; the entrance gateway to Ridgeway House comprises outer gritstone piers with moulded flat capstones, dressed stone walling with shallow pointed coping, inner square piers in vermiculated rustication, moulded cornice and ball finials, spur stones at bases, paired wrought-iron gates with dog bars, X-braces, leaf finials to bars. ii) walls flanking the narrow pedestrian right of way through the grounds of Ridgeway House: overall length approx 100m, height 3m, rounded coping stones; a single-slab footbridge crosses the path near the western end. iii) the walling along the W side of the grounds, overall length approx 150m, height 3m, from the junction with the house: an angled wall with the remains of 3 blind/blocked arches, flat coping, to the entrance to Elmfield (qv). This length of walling includes the round-arched opening to the right-of-way and the gate piers and gates into the former gardens of Ridgeway House. Monolithic piers with modillion cornice and flat capstones, wooden gates with remains of L-hinges. The routeway from Leeds and Woodhouse to hamlets and mills outside the town is shown on early maps and was protected when the development of this part of the Revd Richard Fawcett's estates took place after 1846. The N wall of the pathway forms a revetment to the house garden which was planted with shrubs to hide the wall top. (The Rise of Suburbia (Thompson FML, Ed): Treen, C: The process of suburban development in North Leeds, 1870-1914: Leicester UP: 1982-: 158-209).

Listing NGR: SE2883635911

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465251
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Treen, C, The Process of Suburban Development in North Leeds 1870-1914, (1982), 158-209

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/06267/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].