CHURCH OF ST MARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256144

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARK, ST MARKS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256144 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 18:06:28.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARK, ST MARKS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29507 35167

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2935 ST MARK'S ROAD, Woodhouse Carr 714-1/24/1268 (North side) 05/08/76 Church of St Mark

GV II

Anglican church. 1823-26, altered 1873. By Peter Atkinson Junior and RH Sharp. Alterations to tower and window tracery 1873 by RL Adams and J Kelly. Coursed squared stone and ashlar, slate roof. PLAN: west tower of 3 stages, 6-bay nave and chancel with side aisles. A commissioners' church in Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: tower: west door, 3-light windows to 2nd stage, paired 2-light belfry windows with Perpendicular tracery, angle buttresses with gabled heads surmounted by tall octagonal pinnacles, embattled parapet. W entrance to S aisle has double board doors in moulded arch; aisles have Perpendicular traceried windows, buttresses between surmounted by octagonal pinnacles and plain parapet with moulded coping. 5-light E window. The tops of the pinnacles are stored inside the church. INTERIOR: a continuous nave and chancel with one step up to choir and 2 up to the sanctuary; aisles with vestry and organ at E end of N aisle and a side chapel at E end of S aisle. Plain and polychrome tile floors, quatrefoil columns, moulded rib vault with bosses, cast-iron columns support added W end gallery (perhaps of 1873); the reredos is a carved stone blind arcade of 7 crocketed arches, the central 3 framing the altar recess. A fine carved oak organ case with angels blowing trumpets, in memory of Joseph Ogdin March of Beech Grove House, Leeds, 1889. Short marble shafts support octagonal pulpit with traceried panels, memorial to ministry of Revd JS Abbott, 1891. Painted stone font: octagonal, figures of angels holding shields, quatrefoil panels and Christian symbols, a carved inscription around the bowl records the donation by Charles Gascoigne Maclea, 1853. On the N wall of the nave a wide crocketed arch with plaque carved with ivy leaves commemorates William Schofield, d.1857, nephew of John Coultate, d.1864, and John's 2 sisters, Hannah Craven (d.1860) and Alice (d. 1863). St Mark's was one of 3 Commissioner churches built in the populous areas of Leeds, the other 2 have been demolished. (Beresford M: East End, West End: Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684-1842: Leeds: 1988-: 359).



Listing NGR: SE2950735167

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465219

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 359

End of official listing