CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256154
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, ST MARTINS VIEW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256154.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Nov-2019 at 21:29:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, ST MARTINS VIEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30804 36281

Details

LEEDS

SE3036 ST MARTIN'S VIEW, Potternewton 714-1/19/1035 (North side) Church of St Martin

GV II

Anglican church. 1879-81 and 1898. By Richard Adams and John Kelly. Rock-faced ashlar, slate roof. PLAN: nave of 6 bays with N and S aisles and clerestory, lower 3-bay chancel, 2-stage unfinished W tower, N and S porches, vestry. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: nave has 3-light windows, stepped buttresses, porches with cusped arches and attached chamfered columns, wrought-iron gates. Chancel more ornate with 7-light E window, gabled buttresses surmounted by crocketed pinnacles, uncarved gargoyle projections. The tower has angle buttresses, 4-light W window, 2-light belfry windows, shallow pyramid roof. INTERIOR: quatrefoil columns to nave, corbels with angels and foliage support attached columns, hammer-beam type roof. Chancel: 3 bays, red, green, black tiled floor, angel corbels, panelled ceiling. Murals painted 1913 with 'Te Deum' theme cover chancel walls and frame chancel arch, angels of all nationalities carry scrolls in the upper band: 'The Holy Church throughout the World doth acknowledge Thee'; St Martin over vestry door; grouped figures under trefoil arches; angels flank E window. FITTINGS: reredos of carved, gilt and painted wood replaced original stone 1898-1905: Magi and prophets, lower side panels with 4 northern saints each side completed 1913. Pulpit: hexagonal, stone, open crocketed arch on each face, demi-angel supporting the desk. Elaborate lectern: brass, broad circular base on lions' feet, central stem and 4 detached twisted shafts with octagonal finials and spirelets, eagle desk, inscription on base records that it was given 16 March 1881 by Mrs John Cadman in memory of her husband; described in 1888 as 'considered the finest in the N of England...shown in the Paris exhibition' (Kelly). Font: 7-sided, stone, traceried panels. STAINED GLASS: windows include a war memorial by Kempe firm in N aisle, S aisle Lady Chapel window in memory of Mary Cadman, died 20 March 1894. The unfinished W end had a small wooden bellcote when the church was consecrated; the base of the tower, forming a vestry, was added as a memorial to the Rev RGP Bullock in 1898. (Report to City of Leeds Planning Dept: Victorian Society:

West Yorkshire Group: Proposed Conservation Area: St Mary's Road, Leeds 7; Kelly's Directories of Leeds, 1888, 1905, 1915; Ripon Diocesan Calendar: 1914-).



Listing NGR: SE3080436281

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465229
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Victorian Society West Yorkshire Group, , Proposed Conservation Area St Marys Road Leeds 7
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1888)
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1905)
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1915)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07120/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R. Handford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].