REDHALL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256162

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: REDHALL HOUSE, RED HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of REDHALL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256162 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 19:29:17.

Location

Statutory Address: REDHALL HOUSE, RED HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 34683 38562

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE33NW RED HALL LANE, Shadwell 714-1/7/1095 (North side (off)) 19/10/51 Redhall House (Formerly Listed as: RED HALL LANE, Shadwell Red Hall)

GV II

Large house, now headquarters of Rugby Football League. C17 origins, late C18 main range, additions early C19. Red brick in Flemish and random bond, ashlar details, slate roofs. 2 storeys, with attics, 9 first-floor windows. Ashlar plinth. The original house is the 5-window central range: central 3 in a wide pedimented bay which breaks forward, with central panelled door in eared architrave with pediment over, flanking narrow 7 x 2-pane windows with flat brick arches to ground and 1st floors and above the continuous sill band, centre, a large traceried fanlight window in keyed architrave. Windows in early C19 added outer bays are wider sashes of 7 x 2 panes, in corniced architraves. Sill bands, moulded stone eaves cornice and blocking course. Central range has a hipped roof with end stacks, outer bays separately roofed. Rear: 2 possibly C17 gables with stone copings, 12-pane sashes in flush wood frames, and a slightly-projecting brick and ashlar stack rises behind added lean-to service range; attached rear wing on north side of courtyard is of 3 bays, the outer bays gabled with copings and turned-in kneelers; the recessed central bay has two 4-centred arches, now windows. INTERIOR: the entrance hall open to 1st floor, lit by the large fanlight with purple and yellow glass panes; entrance hall has deeply carved door cases with moulded entablatures, cornices, 6-panel doors, bucranium frieze to entrance to cross-corridor; window shutters, large C19 fireplace with heavy console brackets and badge of the Ibbetson family. The hall ceiling has central rose, modillion cornice. On the cross corridor is a very fine mid C18 staircase with knopped column-on-vase balusters, moulded and ramped handrail, fluted end column and carved string; the round-headed stair window has margin lights; modillion and egg-and-dart cornice. A service stair rises from ground floor to attics and has column-on-vase balusters and ramped handrail.



Listing NGR: SE3468338562

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465190

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing