CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256239
Date first listed:
26-Sep-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, GREAT GEORGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256239 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 23:40:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, GREAT GEORGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29517 34008

Details

SE2934SE 714-1/74/195 26/09/63

LEEDS GREAT GEORGE STREET (North side) Church of St George

GV II

Anglican church. 1836-38. By John Clark. Apse added c1890, by Henry Walker. Ashlar, slate roof. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: nave and aisles of 8 bays, 3-stage west tower, spire removed 1962; apse with traceried windows and crocketed finials; built on a podium which housed the crypt and burial vaults, with pointed-arch windows (C20 frames), and buttresses between. EXTERIOR: west end: steep flight of stone steps flanked by octagonal moulded piers rise to walkway over the podium; the tower has diagonal buttresses and west entrance with ogee crocketed arch dripmould, 3-light plate tracery window above; clock at 3rd stage. Tall lancet windows to aisles have hoodmoulds. Plain parapet, shallow pitch roof. East end: a wall approx 3m high and with octagonal crenellated piers screens 2 straight flights of steps: those to left rise to walk way over podium, those to right rise to a pointed-arch doorway at NE corner of church. INTERIOR: galleries removed 1989 during refurbishment; apse with large painted panel by Charles Cope, RA, 'All Nations looking unto Christ'; a memorial window centre of S wall has some original stained glass in medallions and was a memorial to Christopher Beckett, 'one of the principal founders', (see below). Queen-post roof spanning full width has carved details and Gothic arches. Undercroft has shallow segmental vaults which retain original divisions for the stone coffin shelves which were removed c1962; chamfered round-arched openings from burial vault area to west end of crypt. The church was built on part of Christopher Beckett's Mount Pleasant estate as part of the development of the Clarendon Road-Woodhouse Square area by the Atkinsons c1825-40 for which John Clark designed several large houses, all in Greek style. The undercroft contained 700 stone recesses for coffins, there was no graveyard, and 300 were occupied in 1962. The undercroft was first altered by the vicar, Don Robins (d.1948) who established a refuge and advice centre for unemployed men in the 1930s. (Beresford, M: East End, West End: 1988-: 337; Victorian Society Walk No 4: Douglas, J & Powell, K: Leeds: Three Architectural Walks, 2nd Edition: 1988-: 16; Francis, A: Out of the Dust: 1985-: 37).



Listing NGR: SE2951734009

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465135
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 337
Francis, A, Out of the Dust, (1985), 37
Douglas, J, Powell, K, 'Victorian Society Walks' in Leeds Three Architectural Walks, (1988), 16

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09460/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hans Van Lemmen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].