This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HUNSLET MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HUNSLET MILL

List entry Number: 1256253

Location

HUNSLET MILL, 23 AND 25, GOODMAN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465102

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3132 GOODMAN STREET, Hunslet 714-1/44/867 (North side) 10/01/86 Nos.23 AND 25 Hunslet Mill (Formerly Listed as: GOODMAN STREET, Hunslet Hunslet Mill)

GV II*

Flax mill. 1838 and c1842. Probably by William Fairbairn for John Wilkinson, with later alterations by John Clark. Red brick with stone details, slate single and double-gable roof, brick parapet, stone coping. L-shaped plan. East range: 7-storey mill of 25 bays on river edge and 3 bays to Goodman Street facade, 5-sided stair tower to rear; regular fenestration, stone string courses and cornice, 2 brick pilaster strips to corners; 6 bays to right have a regular pattern of round tie plates on upper storeys. South range, fronting Goodman Street, of offices and warehouse: 2, raised to 3, storeys, 10 bays to left and 12 bays to right of slightly projecting 3-bay entrance block with remains of wooden gate in carriage entrance flanked by pedestrian doorways in a facade of banded rusticated masonry with voussoirs; central part-blocked 3-light window flanked by single lights all in architraves with cornice over; regular fenestration, slightly cambered rubbed brick arches, divided by 2 pilaster strips to left and right of entrance. Rear: not seen in detail, regular fenestration with a 5-sided projecting stair tower to left. INTERIOR: offices have remains of fine Greek/Egyptian-style plasterwork to ceilings and shutters to windows; the east range frame comprises 3 longitudinal rows of cylindrical cast-iron columns supporting inverted T-section 'elliptical/parabolic' beams developed by Eaton Hodgkinson in the 1820s and carrying brick fire proof arches and stone flag floors. The south block front has 2 rows of cast-iron columns and construction of similar type. HISTORICAL NOTE: John Wilkinson (1799-1856) was renting the Trafalgar Mill, Meadow Lane in 1830 for flax spinning and bought a field on the bank of the River Aire in 1840 from George Goodman and building began immediately. William Fairbairn was the leading engineer and designer of mill buildings in the first half of the C19 and was responsible for Armley Mills from 1805 (qv) and Saltaire Mill, 1850. In 1842 John Clark was employed as architect, probably for the

refronting of the Goodman Street facade when the range was raised from 2 to 3 storeys. By 1847 Wilkinson employed 1500 female flax reelers in the largest single-build mill in Leeds. After several fires in the 1860s Hunslet Mill was offered for sale in 1869. The last and individually the largest of the great flax-spinning mills built in Leeds throughout the 1820s and 30s, the first having been established by John Marshall, Marshall Mills (qv). The west range was demolished in 1986. In a very derelict condition at time of survey. For detailed architectural record of the building and its history see RCHME report. (RCHME: Goodall I & Giles C: Hunslet Mill, Goodman Street, Hunslet, Leeds, W Yorks (M179): 1985-; Industrial Archaeology Review: Fitzgerald RS: Development of cast-iron frame in textile mills to 1850: 1988-: 142; Binney M, Langenbach R & Powell K (SAVE): Satanic Mills: Industrial Architecture in the Pennines: 1979-).





Listing NGR: SE3147732147

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Langenbach, M, Binney, R, Bowell, K, Satanic Mills Industrial Architecture in the Pennines, (1979)
'Industrial Archaeology Review' in Industrial Archaeology Review, (1988), 142

National Grid Reference: SE3147732147

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256253 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 02:43:39.

End of official listing