NUMBERS 6 TO 14 INCLUDING STANSFELD CHAMBERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256257

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 6 TO 14 INCLUDING STANSFELD CHAMBERS, GREAT GEORGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 6 TO 14 INCLUDING STANSFELD CHAMBERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256257 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 15:30:47.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 6 TO 14 INCLUDING STANSFELD CHAMBERS, GREAT GEORGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29873 33945

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2933NE GREAT GEORGE STREET 714-1/75/184 (North side) 05/08/76 Nos.6-14 (Even) including Stansfeld Chambers

GV II

House, offices and carriage manufactory, now bookshop and offices. 1848. For JF Clark. Red brick with ashlar dressings, rusticated to ground floor, cobbled courtyard, cast-iron spur blocks, roof not visible. 3 storeys, 3-bay house, 7-bay office and showroom range with central arched entrance to rear courtyard with ranges on all sides. House, left (No.14): deeply-recessed entrance, left, in architrave with cornice on console brackets, lower round-arched entrance far left; glazing-bar sashes throughout, those to ground floor have surrounds as entrance and moulded panels below; 1st floor: architraves, sills on small brackets; 2nd floor: bracketed sills, segmental brick arches. Ashlar eaves band, cornice and blocking course which continues to right above workshop premises. Workshops: segmental-arched openings throughout. Central archway has original panelled gates and tapered spur blocks each side; large display windows, deep moulded cornice over. Brick pilasters between upper-floor windows which have sashes with margin lights and stone sills, bracketed to 2nd floor. Courtyard: 3 storeys, 7 bays to W and E sides, 3 bays to N side. A later C19 single-storey lean-to reception block bays 1-3, W side, has stone surrounds to central door, paired flanking windows and moulded brick eaves. Ground-floor archways on W and E sides, most now reduced to windows have brick repairs to sides and painted shields with numbers above; blocked loading doors to upper floors, centre; windows have brick wedge lintels and stone sills. N side: central arched opening flanked by windows; cast-iron clock face with gilded numbers between left and centre windows on 1st floor. The rear (north) facade has 10 windows to each floor, some blocked, and an inserted central wide entrance. INTERIOR: not inspected. In 1853 this was the premises of J Clark, coach builder; by 1876 Clark and Sons were the West Riding Carriage Works. The business continued until at least 1881 and the 1900 Directory Shows that J Stansfield Ltd, iron and steel merchants then used the buildings, (they were probably responsible for the single-storey office/reception, the numbers over the archways

and remnants of painted signwork on the north side of the courtyard). (Directories of Leeds for 1853, 1876, 1881 & 1900).



Listing NGR: SE2987333945

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465107

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing