FELON AND FIRKIN PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256260

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: FELON AND FIRKIN PUBLIC HOUSE, 24 AND 26, GREAT GEORGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FELON AND FIRKIN PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 14:07:19.

Location

Statutory Address: FELON AND FIRKIN PUBLIC HOUSE, 24 AND 26, GREAT GEORGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29771 33936

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2933NE GREAT GEORGE STREET 714-1/75/185 (North side) 22/03/74 Nos.24 AND 26 Felon and Firkin Public House (Formerly Listed as: GREAT GEORGE STREET (North side) Nos.24 AND 26 Leeds Juvenile Court and Leeds West Riding Court)

GV II

Masonic hall and photographic studio and offices, later courtrooms and offices, now public house. 1865, altered C20. The premises comprise 2 originally separate buildings. No.24, former masonic hall. By Perkin and Sons. Ashlar, slate roof. No.26, former photographic studio, offices and court premises. By George Corson for Edmund and Joseph Wormald. Brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Both in Gothic Revival style. No.24: 2 storeys, 4 unequal bays. Ground floor: 1995 windows/ doors within original bays, right bay projects slightly and has a pointed-arched doorway with flanking columns and gable with circular panel which breaks through the moulded string over ground floor. A round-arched window above the entrance has a hoodmould and the bay is flanked by attached slim columns with foliate caps. Bays 1-3, 1st floor: 1:3:1 windows with cusped pointed arches, dripmoulds and pilaster shafts with carved capitals; the central light is blind, with trefoil panel in the tympanum; 2 carved quatrefoil panels with Masonic emblems above lightly-carved frieze at impost level. Heavy bracketed cornice and parapet with trefoil piercings; bay 3 stepped gable with flanking crocketed finials and circular panel with Masonic emblem of 6-pointed star; small stepped gable above parapet bay 4. No.26, 4 storeys with attic, 1 bay. Ground floor: modern glass-block window, heavy stone cornice over. 1st floor: central oriel with round-arched windows, carved spandrels, attached columns with carved capitals, corbelled cornice; similar flanking windows with carved spandrels; carved stone frieze above. 2nd floor: shouldered head windows with stone lintels and continuous drip-mould, date plaque between. 3 similar but smaller windows to 3rd floor, continuous carved stone sill band and ornate deep corbelled and panelled brick eaves cornice. Truncated pyramid roof has central gabled dormer with fleur-de-lis finials.

INTERIOR: No.24 has former masonic hall at first floor with Gothic vaulted ceiling. No.26 has first floor with cast-iron cooking range and oven within white glazed brick surround. Range by Teal & Somers. HISTORICAL NOTE: the earliest clear Directory entry for the building is 1872 when it housed refreshment rooms, a boot manufacturer, the premises of the Globe Advertiser and E Wormald, photographer. By 1881 eight different businesses had premises in the building, including a sewing machine agent, the Servants' Registry Office and the photographer. In 1888 it was the premises of the Leeds Organ School and Academy of Music, (William Spark, principal), the Leeds Chess Club, George Danby, architect, the photographer and a carver and gilder. (Directories of Leeds, 1872, 1881, 1888; Victorian Society Walk No 4: Douglas, J and Powell, K: Leeds: 3 Architectural Walks, 3rd Edition: 1988-: 17).





Listing NGR: SE2977633950

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465110

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Douglas, J, Powell, K, 'Victorian Society Walks' in Leeds Three Architectural Walks, (1988), 17

End of official listing