THE WHITE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256263

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: THE WHITE HOUSE, 28, WATER END

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WHITE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256263 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 19:26:31.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WHITE HOUSE, 28, WATER END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59134 52961

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5952NW WATER END 1112-1/6/1179 (North West side) 24/06/83 No.28 The White House (Formerly Listed as: WATER END No.28 Green Tree Cottage)

II

Public house, now house. Early C19, altered C20. Painted roughcast with exposed brick side walls. Slate M-roof, with 2 gables facing road. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 2 main bays, with one below each gable. The ground-floor windows project on timber brackets and have slated pentices. They are of 3 lights with timber mullions. The main 1st floor windows are of 3 lights with a transom and have casements. In the centre there is a small casement window. The central doorway has a roughcast chamfered Tudor-arched surround, and a slated pentice on shaped timber brackets. The door is partly glazed. The gable verges project. Chimneys to left and right, with tall partly-rendered caps. History. INTERIOR: not inspected. The building was called the Green Tree in 1830 and kept by George Holgate. In 1836 it was called the Sycamore Inn and kept by Alice Holgate. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 68).

Listing NGR: SE5913452961

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465113

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 68

End of official listing