This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GLEDHOW MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GLEDHOW MANOR

List entry Number: 1256276

Location

19, ALLERTON PARK
GLEDHOW MANOR, GLEDHOW LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jul-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465079

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3137SW GLEDHOW LANE, Gledhow 714-1/56/699 (North side (off)) 24/07/92 Gledhow Manor

GV II

Formerly known as: Red House GLEDHOW LANE Chapel Allerton. Includes: No.19 ALLERTON PARK. Large house, later a home for the elderly. 1903. By the firm of FW Bedford and SD Kitson for Major Bagnal, proprietor of Kirkstall Forge. Plinth of axe-faced Hopton Wood stone, walling of 1 and 3/4 inch Woodville sand-faced bricks (Flemish bond) and Ancaster stone dressings, portico columns also of Hopton Wood stone with a 'pecked' face; roofed in 'Arfon' American red slates; hall mantelpiece of various-coloured Derbyshire marbles. 2 storeys, 3 bays to S front, a square plan with L-shaped rear wing to NE which encloses a small courtyard. In a Queen Anne Revival style. Central 3-window bay has a single-storey semicircular portico with paired Ionic columns in antis, paired panelled doors, fanlight with glazing bars flanked by small-pane windows with similar fanlights; 1st-floor windows are small-pane metal casements with original fittings, in keyed eared architraves. The projecting outer bays have quoins and full-height canted bay windows with 5 x 3-pane sashes in flush wood frames to ground floor and glazing bars to 1st floor, moulded stone sills. Stone bands at window sill and lintel levels. Deep wooden modillion eaves cornice, hipped roof, tall corniced end brick stacks. Fire-escape doors have been inserted on the 1st floor of the outer bays to allow access to a walkway across the lead roof of the portico. Rear: large round-arched stair window with glazing bars centre, small-paned windows; the service wing is in a more 'cottage' style, the bricks are slightly smaller, ground-floor windows have brick soldier arches and the upper-floor windows are dormers with shallow segmental pediments; deep overhanging bracketed eaves. Left return: 4 uneven bays, projecting drawing-room chimney stack right balanced by the projecting 3-window bay of the library to left, 4 (schoolroom) windows between and a narrow 1-window bay of the laboratory far left. Right return: 5 uneven bays: the main house facade has a central pedimented 3-window (dining room) bay which breaks forward slightly, the stone sill and lintel bands are carried across the narrow, slightly projecting hipped (pantry) bay to

right and the service block, right, breaks forward again, the 3 kitchen and larder windows having segmental arches, dormers above. INTERIOR: there has been very little alteration to the original plan and decorative scheme; room names follow the 1904 published plan. Outer hall: glazed double doors with overlight flanked by glazed screen with Art Nouveau stained glass, lunette windows to cloakrooms left and right. Hall: full-height and galleried, original features include fireplace on E wall with brass upper screen, tiles, marble surround in eared architrave; pilasters and segmental moulded arch to staircase on N side; 2-panel doors in moulded surrounds with vernacular-style stepped moulding with carved fruit and foliage and moulded cornice to doorheads. Staircase and gallery: panelled sides to first rise of stairs (between storerooms), divided stair above with column-on-vase balusters, ramped mahogany handrail, similar balustrade to gallery which is reached through fluted Ionic columns in antis, round arches to bedrooms and corridors have secondary doors with fanlights; deep moulded ceiling cornice, square glazed top light with circular flower pattern in stained glass and probably original light fittings at the corners. Ground floor, left (W), from front to rear: the drawing room is reached through triple doors; fireplace of grey marble in an arched alcove, moulded ceiling cornice; the schoolroom retains a ceiling frieze but the fireplace has been sealed off. Inserted partitions in library and a window converted to door in the rear room, formerly the laboratory. Blue/green glazed tiles remain in the lavatory which now opens off the former library but originally opened from the store next to the stairs. Ground floor right: the morning room retains its corner fireplace, panelled dado and overmantel, swagged ceiling cornice. Wooden floors to main rooms and small quarry tiles to service corridor which has the service staircase (now screened off). First floor: the plan of principal bedrooms flanking a dressing room on the S side of the house, nursery wing to NW and servants accommodation to NE, with bathrooms flanking the stair well, can still be followed. Bathrooms retain original blue tiling and some plumbing, principal bedrooms have ceiling cornices, fireplaces blocked, corner fireplace in front right has moulded surround intact. The nursery wing is reached from a door on the W side of the gallery which opens into a corridor with 3 rooms off, the central room has a fireplace surround in Classical style but with 4 dancing figures on the central plaque; the S room has original panelled linen cupboards.

The servants' wing is entered from a door on the E side of the gallery, attic stairs rise from the bedroom lobby on the right. The original heating system with ornate moulded radiators remains in most rooms. Major Bagnal's requirements of the architects were a large hall with top light suitable for the display of a collection of prints, with a number of small sitting rooms opening off the hall; care was taken to avoid making any of the bedroom doors to open off the gallery. (Architectural Review: 1904-: 216, 219-220; Boswell, D (Victorian Society), pers. comm.).



Listing NGR: SE3105037146

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Architectural Review' in Architectural Review, (1904), 216
'Architectural Review' in Architectural Review, (1904), 219-220

National Grid Reference: SE 31050 37146

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256276 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 01:50:35.

End of official listing