BEECH GROVE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256283
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
BEECH GROVE HOUSE, BEECH GROVE TERRACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BEECH GROVE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256283 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 00:47:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
BEECH GROVE HOUSE, BEECH GROVE TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29354 34635

Details

LEEDS

SE2934NW BEECH GROVE TERRACE 714-1/71/1134 (West side (off)) 05/08/76 University Campus Beech Grove House (Formerly Listed as: BEECH GROVE TERRACE University Campus Beech Grove House including gates and gate piers to SE of house)

II

House, now Leeds University Dept of Education. 1799, altered 1840 and C20. For Abram Rhodes, with alterations 1840 for John Ogden March. Ashlar, slate hipped roof. 2 storeys and attic (modern attic dormers). 3 x 7 bays. East front: central round-arched porch with attached columns and moulded cornice; flanking and first-floor plate-glass sashes, first-floor sill band, recessed rectangular panels below outer windows, the central window with architrave. Left return: central 3 windows in a wide semicircular bay, sill band and panels as front. Large stone stacks to left and right of ridge. INTERIOR: reputed to retain mid C19 domestic features (Beresford p.46). Abram Rhodes was a leading Leeds cloth merchant and his property originally included workshops, warehouses and a malt kiln; John March was an iron founder and machine maker, working with Matthew Murray. (Beresford M: Walks Round Red Brick: Leeds University Press: 1980-: 46).





Listing NGR: SE2935434635

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465086
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M , Walks Round Red Brick, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].