JAMES GRAHAM HALL LEEDS METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256293
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
JAMES GRAHAM HALL LEEDS METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY, BECKETT PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of JAMES GRAHAM HALL LEEDS METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256293.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2019 at 15:44:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
JAMES GRAHAM HALL LEEDS METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY, BECKETT PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 26866 36873

Details

LEEDS

SE23NE BECKETT PARK, Beckett Park 714-1/6/516 James Graham Hall, Leeds Metropolitan University

GV II

Also known as: Carnegie College BECKETT PARK Beckett Park. The main building of the former City of Leeds Training College, now Leeds Metropolitan University. 1911. By GW Atkinson. Red brick, gritstone ashlar dressings, slate and lead roof. A double courtyard plan with central main hall; 3 storeys, 5 unequal bays with 5,11,7,11,5 first-floor windows. In a 'Wrennaissance' Revival style. The outer and central bays project and their central 3-window sections break forward slightly with pilasters and pediments. Central panelled double doors, fine bronze hinges, handles, with overlight in porch with Leeds coat of arms under a pedimented hood supported on Ionic columns; 4 Corinthian columns support triangular pediment above. Flanking bays: the ground floor stepped out, round-headed windows with circular pivoted lights, carved stone swags, keystones, parapet coping and urns, 4th and 8th windows on 1st and 2nd floors in stone panels; outer bays have 3-part windows, in stone architraves to ground and 2nd floors. Small-pane sashes or casements throughout, segmental arches to 1st and flat heads to 2nd floor. Deep stone cornice, moulded blocking course over central and outer bays. Original rainwater drain pipes with moulded heads including date. Other facades similar with projecting corner bays; the parapets built up as blind walls to added 3rd storey. Courtyards: the west infilled with library stacks; the east unaltered with finely detailed facades including glazed corridor on ground floor with round-arched windows but rectangular casements in round-arched recesses with central pedimented 6-panel door to hall facade, parapet with urns above; round and segmental arches to 1st floor, round windows in architraves to 2nd floor. INTERIOR: an inner wooden entrance screen with fluted pilasters and margin lights, doors replaced; stone flagged floors, staircase hall with stone divided stairs, ashlar screen walls with oval piercing in architraves with scrolls and ram's head keystones; Tuscan columns to 1st floor. The central wing is the James Graham lecture hall: panelled walls, pilasters, arched plaster ceiling, rear gallery with balustrades, half-glazed double doors. The design was winner of a competition limited to Leeds

architects, assessed by Sir Aston Webb, based on guidance prepared by F Broadbent and James Graham. The architect worked with Reginald Blomfeld on The Headrow scheme in Leeds from 1924. Additions to this complex were by G Alan Burnett and Partners. The college was used as a hospital during the First World War. (The Builder, 15 January 1910: 61-64).



Listing NGR: SE2686636873

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465048
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 15 January, (1910), 61-64

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13068/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Carr. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].