JACOBS WELL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1256384

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: JACOBS WELL, 5, TRINITY LANE, YO1 6LL

Map

Ordnance survey map of JACOBS WELL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256384 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 14:05:24.

Location

Statutory Address: JACOBS WELL, 5, TRINITY LANE, YO1 6LL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59908 51574

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 5951 NE, 1112-1/15/1142

YORK, TRINITY LANE (South West side), No.5, Jacob's Well

14.06.54

G.V.

I

House, now parish room of Holy Trinity Priory Church, Micklegate (qv). Late C15; possibly extended in early C16, and hall floored in C17; wing raised and further extended in early C19. Restored and altered in 1905, including reconstruction of late C15 canopy over door; restored 1991, including removal of additional storey and construction of new roof to wing. Restoration and alterations of 1905 by Walter Harvey Brook; restoration of 1991 by Peter Marshall, Architects, of York. MATERIALS: timber-framed, with original infilling of wall tiles, ground floor at front encased in rubble stone, with areas of brick of various dates; ground floor alterations at rear rebuilt in dressed stone; first floor of both fronts plastered and whitewashed. C19 extension of red brick, part Flemish bond, part English garden-wall bond. Roofs tile and pantile, with rebuilt brick stack at left end of entrance front. PLAN: 1-bay open hall with 2-bay cross wing and later extensions.

EXTERIOR: 2-storey front, two and half bays of framing, the upper floor jettied on two sides; 2-storey 1-window extension to right. Original entrance in jettied right return, now enclosed in C19 extension. Door case towards left end incorporates reconstructed canopy with embattled mouldings, coffered on underside, on medieval cusped brackets, the spandrels carved with an eagle, a Tudor rose, leaves and flowers. Renewed door with 2-centred head in architrave carved with flower heads between colonnette jambs with moulded bases and inverted bell capitals. Renewed 3-light mullioned window at left end of ground floor; to right, renewed 2 x 6-pane horizontal sliding sash. On first floor are two mullioned windows, one of 5 lights in shallow oriel, one of 4 lights, both renewed. Window mullions are timber, of diamond form, and windows have lead latticed lights. Both windows in extension are 2-light horizontal sliding sashes, 6-paned on ground floor beneath segmental arch, 4-paned on first floor beneath timber lintel, both with stone sills. Rear: 2-storey 1-bay hall, with 2-storey cross wing to right. Double chamfered doorway in cross wing, with 2-centred head and nail-studded door, to left of hollow-chamfered square-headed window of two pointed lights. Ground floor of hall contains projecting square bay with roll moulded parapet and 4-light mullion window. Continuous hoodmould runs across bay window and returns above door and window in cross wing. On first floor, cross wing has 4-light window with brick mullions in chamfered brick surround, and hall has 6-light timber mullioned window. Hall has timber guttering on elongated iron scroll brackets.

INTERIOR: ground floor: inserted studded wall divides cross wing, in which dragon beam and floor joists, some replacements, survive at right end; left end under-ceiled. In wall between cross wing and C19 extension, original doorway and 6-light mullion window survive, beneath original first floor jetty. Hall has ogee-arched chamfered fireplace with heavy timber lintel carved with embattled mouldings; ceiling beam and joists are chamfered. Inserted door and 3-light mullion window leads to staircase extension. Staircase has close string and open panelled balustrade, moulded handrail and square newels with truncated pyramidal caps. 2-light mullion and transom staircase window with leaded lights and opaque glazing, and ogee mullion and transoms. On first floor, ceiling over stairs is coffered with chamfered beams and painted carved bosses at intersections. Framing in hall is complete except for wall broken for staircase. In cross wing, chimneybreast and fire hood, with timber surround to fireplace with simply moulded jambs and shelf. Roofs: hall has two crown post trusses with ridge purlin, collared rafters and 1 side purlin on intact side opposite staircase. Reconstructed crown post roof to cross wing. Notable early and late C20 ironwork on most doors and windows. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: LXII; 109).

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464958

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 109, LXII

End of official listing