29, TRINITY LANE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256392
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1991
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
29, TRINITY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 29, TRINITY LANE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256392.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 18:15:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
29, TRINITY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59970 51523

Details

YORK

SE5951NE TRINITY LANE 1112-1/15/1143 (South West side) 10/01/91 No.29 (Formerly Listed as: TRINITY LANE No.29 The Ideal Laundry)

II

Manufactory, later an orphanage, then laundry, now flats. Late C17 remodelling of early C17 building; further remodelling in early C19. Extended c1895. Original building for Nicholas Towers. C19 extension by WG and A Penty. MATERIALS: orange-red brick, largely in English garden-wall bond, some random bond, with timber doorcase and eaves cornice, and hipped pantile roofs. Extension in English garden-wall bond, with rendered first floor, and tiled roof. Brick stacks to both parts. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay main front, with 2-storey extension at left, with irregular fenestration. Central entrance in main front, in doorcase of plain pilasters with bracketed hood, recessed door of 6 panels, 4 raised and fielded, 2 fluted, and decorative glazed overlight, in panelled reveal. Doors in outer bays are half-glazed with overlights. Several windows blocked: those visible are 12-pane sashes, all with painted stone sills, most with flat arches of gauged bricks. In left end bay, vestiges of C17 segmental arches are visible. Two left bays have modillion eaves cornice, mutilated, which returns at left end. Between the two bays is a fluted inverted bowl rainwater head with fallpipe on fleur-de-lys holdfast clamps. Extension has C20 windows and first floor string course. Rear of main building: fine pair of external chimney stacks, a round-headed staircase window, and sash windows. Wing: ground floor obscured by later building. On upper floor, four half dormers with hipped roofs and tapered finials, 3 with 2-light casements, 1 with replacement glazing. Projecting bracketed eaves with guttering carried on wrought-iron scrolls. INTERIOR: extensive brick-vaulted cellars. Right end room on ground floor has large fireplace with 4-centred brick arch. Remainder of building has good early C19 doors and door surrounds, windows and window surrounds, reeded with paterae. Also an early C19 staircase with thin fluted balusters. Some rooms also have early C19 fireplaces, also reeded with paterae. HISTORICAL NOTE: original building erected as a soap-boiling factory by Nicholas Towers (Sheriff of York, 1657), and known as 'Towers Folly'. c1800 to 1851, it became the horn and shell comb factory of John Nutt; subsequently the residence of Rev. Henry Vaughan Palmer, whose daughter Henrietta became an

authoress under the pseudonym 'John Strange Winter'. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 215; RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-: 110).



Listing NGR: SE5998751506

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464969
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 110
Hutchinson, J, Palliser, D M, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in York, (1980), 215

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].