VICTORIA BAR CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256394

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1991

Statutory Address: VICTORIA BAR CHAPEL, VICTOR STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of VICTORIA BAR CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256394 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:05:04.

Location

Statutory Address: VICTORIA BAR CHAPEL, VICTOR STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60072 51294

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051SW VICTOR STREET 1112-1/21/1145 (South East side) 28/08/91 Victoria Bar Chapel

II

Shown on OS map as warehouse. Primitive Methodist Chapel, now flats. 1880. By William Peachey. MATERIALS: orange brick, part in header bond, part Flemish bond, on chamfered plinth of red-orange brick; pilasters, entablature and banding of cream-grey brick in Flemish, header and stretcher bonds; cornice and dressings of cream-grey moulded brick. Slate roofs, with segmental hips at each end, conical to staircase turret, with terracotta finials. EXTERIOR: 2 storey 5-bay apsidal north-west end rises behind 1-storey, five-and-a-half bay entrance front of which left end bay has an attic, and right end bay is one-and-a-half storey staircase turret. Bays articulated by pilasters of rusticated brickwork with moulded capitals, beneath full entablature with moulded cornice. Pilaster plinths contain memorial foundation stones dated 2 June 1879. Three entrance bays have panelled double doors beneath fanlights in roll-moulded round arches of 2 orders with hoodmoulds. Left end bay has segment-arched doorway with double doors of 6 sunk panels in similar opening, beneath cross-glazed circular window. Above, attic filled by raised shouldered and pedimented panel. Staircase turret windows are round-headed small-pane fixed lights beneath segmental arches, with moulded brick sills. Probable datestone, defaced, over central door. Upper floor pilasters of alternating bands of stretcher bond brick and diagonally-set soldier bricks support coved cornice. Three centre bays have cross windows and fanlights, with moulded brick sills over raised brick panels; window arches are segmental with hoodmoulds and impost bands. Newton Terrace front: 2 storeys 6 bays, between 1-storey bays with attics, that at left end pedimented, that at right end set back. Both storeys of central bays pilastered as on entrance front, with similarly detailed windows in each bay, round-arched on ground floor, segment-arched on first floor. Left end bay has tall round-arched sash window on ground floor, and smaller fixed light to attic. Right end bay treated similarly to corresponding bay on entrance front, with C20 door. INTERIOR: fixtures and fittings removed late C20, and concrete frame inserted, though coved plaster ceiling survives.





Listing NGR: SE6007251294

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464971

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing