This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DOROTHY WILSONS HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOROTHY WILSONS HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1256398

Location

DOROTHY WILSONS HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE, 2, WALMGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464975

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NE WALMGATE 1112-1/17/1147 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.2 Dorothy Wilson's Hospital and attached cottage (Formerly Listed as: WALMGATE No.2 Dorothy Wilson's Hospital & Schoolmaster's House in yard at rear)

GV II

Almshouse and schoolroom with schoolmaster's house attached to rear. Almshouse 1765, extensively rebuilt 1812; schoolmaster's house 1805: buildings modernised 1958. For the Trustees of the Dorothy Wilson Charity. MATERIALS: almshouse front and left return of orange brick in Flemish bond on painted stone plinth, rear of brown-cream mottled brick in English garden-wall bond; raised chamfered quoins to front and left return; two cornices and dressings of painted stone; timber doorcase; moulded cornice to hipped slate roof with corner scrolls and brick stacks. Schoolmaster's house of grey-cream brick, Flemish bond at front, English garden-wall bond at rear; slate roof with skylight and brick stack. EXTERIOR: ALMSHOUSE: 2 storeys and attic; 5-bay front, 3 centre bays breaking forward: attached 1-storey wall to right with panelled side door beneath round arch of voussoirs on moulded imposts. Centre bay openings on ground floor recessed beneath arcaded arches of voussoirs on impost band: doorcase of sunk-panel pilasters with moulded imposts and cornice contains 6-panel door and radial fanlight recessed in round-arched architrave. Ground and first floor windows are 16-pane sashes with keyed arches of voussoirs and painted stone sills. Above door, blind niche beneath round arch of voussoirs on moulded imposts contains inscription recording laying of 1812 foundation stone. Attic windows, above massive moulded cornice returned across left front, are 16-pane sashes with flat arches of rubbed brick: in centre, reset panel records foundation in 1719 of Dorothy Wilson's Charity for the "Maintenance of ten poor Women as also for the instruction in English, Reading, Writing and Clothing of twenty poor Boys for ever". 3-bay left return has windows similar to those on main front, one blind, and inverted bell rainwater head. Rear: 3 storeys, 6 bays; left half covered by 1-storey, 3-bay projecting schoolroom: schoolmaster's house projects to right. Between schoolroom and house, steps with serpentine handrail on square section balusters and turned standard lead to glazed and panelled door with overlight beneath pent porch. Schoolroom has unequal 20-pane sash windows with painted stone

sills and channelled wedge lintels. Almshouse windows are 16-pane sashes beneath segmental arches on first floor, cambered arches on second floor. Radial-glazed staircase window has painted keyed round arch of voussoirs on imposts and painted stone sill. Tall extruded stack in right end bay. Timber guttering on paired modillions, with left of centre inverted bell rainwater head. SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE: 2 storeys, 3 bays, with full-height added porch in centre. 6-panel front door beneath divided overlight within panelled porch: small 4-pane sash window with segmental arch on first floor. 12-pane sash to right of porch, blocked window opening to left, and unequal 9-pane sashes on first floor have flat arches. All windows have painted stone sills. Rear: 2 storeys, 2 windows: windows repeat those on front with addition of 6-pane ground floor window. 3 circular tie rod plates. INTERIOR: ALMSHOUSE: rebuilt staircase reuses cast-iron stick balusters and ramped-up moulded handrail. Former Committee Room at rear of first floor, entered through round arch on sunk-panel pilasters with moulded imposts, now subdivided, retains reeded cornice with roundels and plain fireplace and shelf. A number of panelled room and cupboard doors survive throughout the building. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 96).





Listing NGR: SE6061351688

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 96

National Grid Reference: SE 60613 51688

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256398 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 09:29:55.

End of official listing