Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256402.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2020 at 12:31:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Maldon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 85135 07119



TL8507SW MARKET HILL 574-1/7/185 (East side) 02/10/51 United Reformed Church (Formerly Listed as: MARKET HILL Congregational Church)


Independent chapel, now United Reformed Church. 1801, enlarged with galleries 1811 and 1835, refronted c1860; renewal of pews and gallery and addition of vestry to east end c1876. Timber-framed, pargeted, with stucco and stone facade and concrete-tile roof. STYLE: Classical. EXTERIOR: galleried interior expressed as 2 storeys; 5 bays; with 6-bay flanks. 3-bay pedimented centre with channelled quoins. Ground floor has ashlar tetrastyle-in-antis Ionic portico; triple entrances within have panelled doors under rectangular fanlights in moulded architraves, double-leaf door to centre. Wide floor band. First floor has 3 shallow round-arched recesses with keyblocks linked by impost band and containing round-arched windows with margin glazing. Modillion cornice and circular ventilation grille to pediment. Steps to side bays, containing stairs to gallery, each has a panelled door with a rectangular fanlight in a moulded architrave with cornice and shallow pediment in stucco above. Wide first-floor band. Windows with margin glazing in architraves above. Angle pilasters and modillion cornice. Single-bay returns of facade pedimented, with similar detailing. Range to rear: two tiers of windows with margin glazing, those to upper tier round arched. Panels of pargeting enclosing windows. North and south doors to vestry in east bay. East end has two 3-light cross windows with glazing bars. Pair of round-arched sashes above and circular ventilation grille to pediment. INTERIOR: gallery on all four sides with curved angles on cast-iron Tuscan columns; patera to centre of each panel. Set of numbered pews with semicircular bench ends. Raised platform for table with side benches. Raised pulpit approached by steps with iron balustrade. Pair of staircases flanking narrow vestibule at west end has ramped handrail and pierced quatrefoil motifs. Set of plain benches to gallery. Ventilation grilles to coved plaster ceiling. HISTORY: the founder of the Independent congregation in Maldon was Joseph Billio who raised the first chapel on the same site

at his own expense in 1696. It was from his vigorous preaching style that the expression 'like Billio' derived. The new chapel was built under Revd Stephen Forster at a cost of over »2,000. (Earnsman MGL: The Church on Market Hill).

Listing NGR: TL8513507119


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Earnsman, M G L , The Church on Market Hill


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16105/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reginald Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].