This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

9, TOWER PLACE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 9, TOWER PLACE

List entry Number: 1256415

Location

9, TOWER PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464947

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051SW TOWER PLACE 1112-1/21/1136 No.9 14/06/54

GV II*

Also known as: Davy Tower TOWER PLACE. Defensive tower, converted to summerhouse, now house. Tower c1250; converted to summerhouse c1730, extended c1830; further extension in C20. MATERIALS: tower base of magnesian limestone; raised and extended in red brick in Flemish bond; C20 extension in red and grey brick in Monk bond; porch and coved eaves cornice of timber; slate roof, hipped towards river, with wrought-iron corner scrolls and 2 brick stacks. EXTERIOR: entrance front to Tower Place: 1-storey gable end. Steps up to door of 6 raised and fielded panels with divided overlight in plain porch, to left of extruded stack. River front: basement and 1 storey, 2 windows; 1-bay extension to left. Main wall has 12-pane sash to left and blind window opening to right: both have painted moulded stone sill and flat arch of gauged brick with fasciated keyblocks. Extension bay is canted at the corner and has 2 x 4-pane casement window. Park front: basement and 1 storey, 2 bays. To left, offset buttress and musket loop to right. Above, windows are 16-pane sashes, detailed as on river front. Return wall to right has cruciform loop. In the C14 and early C15, tower was known as the Tower of the Friars Minor; by the end of C15, Davy Tower. A defensive chain was customarily slung across the river from Davy Tower to the tower opposite. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records its original summerhouse fittings including a chimneypiece with pulvinated frieze, window seats, a dado rail with sunk panelling above, and a moulded and enriched cornice. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: The Defences: HMSO: 1972-: 158-9; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 235-6).



Listing NGR: SE6036951390

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York II Defences, (1972), 158-159
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 235-236

National Grid Reference: SE 60369 51390

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 04:05:27.

End of official listing