117 AND 119, THE MOUNT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256455

Date first listed: 21-Apr-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: 117 AND 119, THE MOUNT

Map

Ordnance survey map of 117 AND 119, THE MOUNT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256455 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 14:44:33.

Location

Statutory Address: 117 AND 119, THE MOUNT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59417 51002

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5950NW THE MOUNT 1112-1/24/1084 (South East side) 21/04/83 Nos.117 AND 119 (Formerly Listed as: THE MOUNT No.117) (Formerly Listed as: THE MOUNT No.119)

GV II

Two houses, now hotel. 1833/4, altered C20. White brick with dressings of painted stone and exposed limestone. Slate roofs. Tudor Revival style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic and basement. The windows are mullioned and transomed with painted surrounds. No.119, at the right, is symmetrical and of 3 bays. The central bay is flanked by octagonal piers which rise as turrets, which are of limestone and have worn carved panels and crockets. The outer bays have canted bay windows on the ground floor, with mullioned and transomed windows, rising above mullioned canted cellar windows. On the 1st floor the outer bays have cross windows and the central bay has an oriel with embattled parapet. The attic is lit by 2 flat-roofed dormers. The central Tudor-arched door surround is now glazed and the external steps have been removed. On the 1st floor there is a moulded string course at sill level, one which rises as hood moulds over the windows, and one below the parapet, which rises to form a gable over the central bay. To left and right there are corbelled turrets with limestone caps. The gables are coped and have chimneys with octagonal shafts: the right-hand ones retain their pots. At the left there is a link to No.117, with a slated roof behind an entrance with C20 doorway and steps and an enlarged painted surround. No.117 is of 2 gabled bays, the left-hand one projecting slightly and having a ground-floor canted mullioned and transomed bay window above a mullioned canted cellar window. The right-hand bay has a window of 3 lights with transom on the ground floor. Both have cross windows on the 1st floor and narrow chamfered attic windows in the gables. INTERIORS: not inspected. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 127).



Listing NGR: SE5941751002

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464900

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 127

End of official listing